Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Heart Rate Training

I got my heart rate up pretty high today. I'm not talking about the morning swim workout either, although that did it too. (Side note: I am so proud of my success at getting up at 5 a.m. this morning and making 2 swim workouts in 4 days!) My heart rate jumped up suddenly today, and for a good 5 minutes I think I was pretty close to max. I was bidding on some mountain bike shoes that I found on ebay. The beautiful silver and blue Sidi Blazes are exactly like those that were stolen out of my car back in October. I think the aggravation and monetary loss of the theft would almost be worth it if I got to see someone in this 'hood walking around in these shoes, cleats and all, while wearing the tiny DeSoto zip tri singlet with "Los Locos" sublimated across the back. I wonder if they were proud of their prize of workout clothes, Reef flip flops, and a bunch of mixed CDs for my spin class (Metallica, anyone?), along with these pimpin' Sidis.

But anyway, back to the bidding. Finally finding these shoes at a reasonable discount, never used, with SPD cleats included, I couldn't resist. The only issue was that I was at work when the auction ended, and had to ignore the guy I was helping for a bit (he was busy working on the computer anyway!). I assumed the lone bidder didn't have much experience with only 8 transactions, so I thought I might be able to sneak in last minute and outbid her. With two minutes left, I placed my bid, knowing two minutes is plenty of time for her to realize what was happening and up her offer. Every 10 seconds, I hit refresh. Surely she won't be able to react that fast... refresh.... still nothing... refresh... what if our internet goes down like it is inclined to do every so often???.... refresh....this isn't even my computer--what if the keyboard works differently??.... refresh.... With 1 minute remaining, I could only hold off 3 seconds between refreshing. I think I held my breath the whole last minute, feeling my heart want to beat right out of my chest. As if it were a life or death decision, my eyes were glued to the screen. At last, the seconds ticked down to zero, and the green check remained, telling me I'd won this time, I'm the victor, I am the champion bidder! It IS better when you win it!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win! Metallica in spin class? Add some Korn and I'm in! The most I get in the spin classes that I take is '80s rock. (Not that there is anything wrong with it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy! Love your blog! How do you get all those pics on the side? I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, were these the actual shoes you bid on. They look like mountain bike shoes.

    Christy left you blog address on my computer so I decided to check it out. Cool site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry just realized you wanted mountainbike shoes. Do you mountainbike or are they for spin class?

    Jindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Big Jins,
    Congrats on your engagement! I actually do own a MTN bike, and do a couple of small local offroad races each year, which necessitates my ownership of a good pair of MTB shoes, right? I have even done a 35 mi MTB race out in the real mountains on a hard tail, no front shock bike! Are you impressed? Ok, but really I use them mostly for spin class. :)

    ReplyDelete