Thursday, February 14, 2008

That Time of Year

Isn't it always about the middle of February when you've already started back with some training-- running, a little cycling, more swimming-- and you just can't stand one more cold wet day? It still gets dark early, it rains a lot (in Memphis at least), and it's just bone-chilling most of the time. How do you cope? Behold, the treamill. I've made it all the way up to 8 whole miles on the treadmill, although that's really pushing it for me. And I HAVE to do intervals. Who can bear to plod along at the same pace, staring at the same scenery for an hour? It's worse than staring at the same black line at the bottom of the pool. Running seems so much harder on that thing too. Last time I was on the treadmill my intervals were so intense (not that they were fast) that I didn't notice my co-worker who had been on the machine next to me for 20 minutes.
Today, however, is a beautiful day. My plan is to get outside in the warm sunshine for a run this afternoon. I want to enjoy this while it lasts!

1 comment:

  1. Joy, you don't fool us. Your treadmill runs are intense. I bet you would lap me on a treadmill!
    lyl

    ReplyDelete