Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I'm the Lucky One...

... to have these amazing girls be my friends and training partners. The picture above is Damie, Laura and me at last Sunday's Crawfish Festival. We were doing a little post-workout glycogen replenishing on some good ole light beer and... well, that's all. They ran out of crawfish before I could get my hands on any!

Laura is on her way to her first Ironman in July, in Lake Placid. She is counting down the days and I believe she has about 14 weeks left! As she mentioned on her blog, we met when she came to my "triathlon" class back in the day, which consisted of a spin class followed by some running or swimming. She had never done a triathlon just a few years ago, and has turned into this amazing triathlete who blows the competition away! She's going to be in the top 10 of her really tough age group in Gulf Coast in a few weeks.

Speaking of girls who started just a few years ago, Damie is in her 3rd season of triathlons and is going to join me in Panama City in Novemeber for her first Ironman. I had heard of the elusive "Damie" for months before she actually left the classroom and came out with us one night-- with class notes in hand. But I totally understood because I had been in the same exact class just 2 years before. I'm not nearly as tough, however, because I didn't stick around for the follow-up classes, or, oh yeah, graduation. You can see her toughness every day in training and her drive to be the best! I can't wait to watch her Ironman this fall. And my secret is that I'm only doing this IM because I get to train with Damie and Laura all summer. Shhhhh.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha!! I did show up for "girls night" with school notes to study, didn't I! What a dork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you are just hunched. We are pretty much the same height:)

    ReplyDelete