Monday, April 7, 2008

The Muddy Mississip'

My beautiful Mud Island park is flooded. In the picture you'll see the line of trees, beyond which the river usually follows its rocky boundary. Under the trees is a well-worn footpath, my favorite line to follow for an off-road run out my door. It's best at sunset, when the sky over Arkansas turns red and orange and the sun fades into the distant treeline. Too much after sunset, and you'll risk stumbling over a root or two, or in the summer, you won't see the large clouds of gnats that will also be oblivious to your presence, sticking to your sweaty arms, legs, and face.


It has been a few weeks since the waters first covered the grassy field that the hill of the bluff flattens into. The water has receded a few feet since its highest point, evident by the line of sticks and logs, old shoes and bottles, pieces of foam and styrofoam. But I doubt I will be able to run on my path for many more weeks. The water must fall further, the land has to dry.


The flooding of the Mississippi is one of those signs of spring, just like the blossoms of the trees, the nice warm temperatures, long spring bike rides. We finally brought spring to the mid-south after our Ride Into Spring on Saturday, which Laura has described well. I hope to be able to enjoy all spring has to offer before summer hits us full-force soon!


(Laura inspired me to get a picture of the trees that welcome me into my apartment complex this time of year.)

1 comment:

  1. Joy...I don't now how I stumbled upon you blog, but I did! It was good to see you at the Swampstomper in January...and it's also good to meet fellow Memphis athletes/bloggers that we can learn from!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete