Friday, July 11, 2008

Staying Upright

I can still picture that hill. It was near the back entrance of our neighborhood in Mobile, and it was about a 20% grade; at least in the eyes of a 7-year-old. I stood at the top of it straddling my bike, scared to let go. Realizing that my mom and Jenny weren't waiting for me up ahead, I went for it. In between the steep downhill and the matching uphill immediately following was a small patch of sand, which I rode directly toward. With little experience riding in sand, I thought nothing of making my path right through it, and immediately crashed.

Probably a year later, with my big bike with the curved handlebars, banana seat, and license plate on the front basket that read "JOY" and underneath that "Heart of Dixie," I remember falling in the driveway on my left elbow, leaving a scar that still remains.

The very first time I rode with my new clipless pedals, I came to a stop, unclipping my right foot. I landed on my left knee.

Before my first olympic distance race, almost exactly 10 years ago, I was riding a huge 20-miler when I hit some gravel and sprawled out in the middle of the street. I got the left elbow and left hip. I did get up and ride the 2 miles home while crying.

One winter I was riding up to a stop sign and the car in front of me wouldn't just go! I had to come to a stop, but my pedal refused to let go of my shoe. I fell on my left hip in slow motion. The swim coach asked who had been beating me when he saw the bruises up and down my quad.
The most dramatic fall was probably during Heart of Dixie several years ago when some guy came around and clipped me. I splayed out in the oncoming traffic on my, you guessed it, left side. I was fired up then, and managed to finished 2nd place. She beat me by 14 seconds.

I rolled a flat tire a year ago while I was warming up for a 5k. I was travelling at about 2 mph when I fell. My left shoulder felt that one.

I sit here now with a bandaged left elbow and hip. It's funny that the skin came off in some of the exact spots that were already scarred from some past wrecks. This time slick pavement and cornering too fast were to blame (in other words: my bike handling). There was a new sensation when I made it to my feet. Not fear of riding, like when I hit the sand, or embarrassment when I fell at the stop sign with dozens watching, and not anger like during the race; no, this was purely physical. It was a combination of light-headedness and nausea that concerned me. I pushed aside the urge to lie back down, knowing I just needed to get home. Some painkillers, a shower, and a beer later, I felt much better and was able to sleep soundly, one hour at a time.

I know I've been really lucky to avoid any major crashes, but it's still hard to not fear even the minor ones. To those doing IMUSA next week, be very careful this week! Go slower than you normally would, don't take risks, be safe!

Everyone have a good safe weekend.

Photo


3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the falling at stop signs in front of EVERYONE - I remember that very well. Or the first time on the Pigs (it was also my very first ride - thanks Mason!) when I wasn't really comfortable adjusting gears WAAYYYY out there on the aerobars and my chain fell off - that was a 'uh, uh, try and pedal, uh, fall over' moment. Is it too far fetched then that Nick nicknamed me Skidmour? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting I finally get a chance to read your postings and see this one. Remember my basketball sized hematoma? That was 2nd best wreck of my cycling days, and with only 3cracked helmets I'd say I'm lucky! I haven't crashed once out here, then again I don't think I've been on the bike as much.
    Take care
    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right! It WAS the size of a basketball! I remember which road you were on too. How funny, er uh, painful. GLad you're taking care of that noggin!

    ReplyDelete