Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And you thought your knees hurt.

My legs were killing me after the Degray Lake 1/2 Ironman last Saturday, which I survived for the 6th time. Everyone these days is raving over compression socks for recovery, and it makes sense, so I went out and bought some and wore them around Jenny and Tim's house all weekend after the race. Sunday morning Jackson came in to show me his outfit. "Look Joy!" He showed me his latest accessory: white knee socks, just like mine.

This may be one of those Tipping Point moments (you know that book? I've started it). A fad catches on with certain key people just before it becomes a major trend, or in this case, a fashion statement.


I only thought I was in pain this past weekend. Can you imagine having just turned 40 and facing a bilateral total knee replacement? My friend Melissa has probably just come out of surgery as I write this. She's going to blog about her experience, and the pain-free life she lives after surgery. Just last December when she was in town, she showed me how she had been relearning to jump. Several inches off the floor she hopped, and then she admitted that it caused her pain. She was surprised that I didn't feel any pain jumping. I take my joints for granted until I think of Melissa and what she has quietly suffered for so many years, not even knowing that most people don't go through that pain when doing what we consider "normal" activities. Here's to your fast recovery and our future training for the NYC marathon, Melissa!


Speaking of funny knees, little Jackson was fascinated when we saw the flamingoes at the Little Rock zoo on Sunday. "He broke!" Jackson exclaimed when he saw the birds standing on one leg, the other one tucked away into its feathers. After I explained it to him, he got good at imitating them upon request:





The only part he doesn't have down is the backward bend of the knee, like a real flamingo.

8 comments:

  1. Love the compression socks. We need to have a wine and cheese compression socks night. (or electrolyte replacement beverage of your choice and fruit? nah, wine is good....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I'm so glad I found your blog. Please provide my name, and email to your friend Melissa. I'm 43, and both of my knees need replaced. I live in Pennsylvania, I'm a normal person (not a weirdo) and have two boys 10 and 13. I've done alot of high impact aerobics,and sports for years and have inherited bad knees/joints/arthritus from my mom. I have searched the web for someone in my similar demographics (40ish, woman, very active) and can't find anyone. I desperately need to get this done but I am so unsure of how I will be afterwards. Everything I have read leads me to believe I will not be able to function the way I want to (i.e. run, climb rocks with my kids, do squats and lunges etc...) My name is Kim Mears and my email is kimberly.mears@dcma.mil I would be so grateful if you would provide her my name and contact info so she and I can coorespond. Thank you so much (P.S. your kids are so cute...enjoy them, they grow so quickly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's with the Hendrix t-shirt? You need to get that boy a Rhodes shirt (or knee socks...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the socks helped quite a bit. I wasn't as into showing them off as you are though. I'm not as inherently fashionable, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joy! I have been trying to say CONGRATS on your DeGray race for awhile but the word verification was not working for me...ANYWAY, congrats and NICE RACE!!! :) Between Mira and Liz, I am always keeping up on you. Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, and Damie too of course!
    Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so getting some of those cool hose for post-IM. It does make total sense! I mean, I'm not worried about a DVT post-IM, but it'll still help get that blood flowing back to where it needs to go, right? I am going to wear pants though with them :-)

    ReplyDelete