Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Great Meltdown of Aught-Eight

It started out as a pleasant Sunday long run. I left very prepared for heat, humidity, sun, boredom, hypoglycemia, threatening attackers, you name it. I looked like I was prepared for a week of desert trekking with my pockets full of food, water bottle in one hand, pepper spray in the other, visor on head, sunscreen application, heart rate monitor, watch on the wrist, ipod in ears. Within a quarter mile the weight of the shorts pockets, containing the ipod and keys, pulled on my old elastic-less shorts enough to make them droop, requiring a double waistband rollover and evacuation of equipment. Fine, it can all go in the tri top pockets; that's why I wore this top, despite the chafing it potentially causes on the backs of my shoulders.


Down the island and over the bridge, my hamstrings and hips should have been loosening up. I had a 4 mile warm up, then the next 6 at a good steady ironman pace. After the four miles, everything was still tight and starting to hurt, then I picked up the pace. The next 6 miles contained about 5 stops to stretch. Surely something would help. Apparently it was not this.


Ten miles in, I needed to further pick up the pace: 7-7:30 per mile. I had detailed notes of where exactly each of these miles would begin and end, so that I could accurately assess my pace, instead of my usual guesses that I'm running "fast enough."I stopped at the beginning of mile 11 to stretch once more and gather all the motivation possible. First mile: 7:20. Success! I stopped, stretched, panted... were these five miles supposed to be continuous? What?


Each mile thereafter got progressively worse. Much worse. 7:40, stop. 8:20, stop. 8:45, stop. Halfway through the last mile, I finally reached the oasis we call Mud Island park. Within it lies the spring of life-- you know, that water fountain at the south end. I drank approximately 37 ounces of water and waited until my heart rate came down under 150... and waited, and waited. It wasn't budging until I got in a more horizontal position, so I surrendered and draped myself over the railing. It worked, at least until I stood upright again, and up shot my heart rate. At that point I'd had all I could stand. I gave up, started running again, and somehow plodded along another mile and a half to my apartment. Mission accomplished!


Collapsing onto the floor after shedding approximately 18 pounds of wet clothing, I also shed any aspirations of an age-group award, Kona slot, PR, or thoughts that I may actually run the entire marathon in Florida. I sought to regain hope by checking the weather. Darn it, it was only 90 degrees! 50% humidity, yes, but 90? Nothing to complain about.


In the days since The Meltdown, I feel I've redeemed myself with a negative split 1000 in the pool, and an effortless bike and run. I'm hoping I will be limiting these meltdowns to, say, one per Ironman. But with 8.5 weeks yet to go, that may be a long shot.

7 comments:

  1. It was just one of those off days, don't worry about it. You're going to get your Kona slot and be on top of your AG, don't even think twice.
    BTW, compression socks were quite the rage at IM Louisville. I wore mine (from Walgreen's) after the race under scrub pants only because I felt like crap and thought they'd help. I guess they did. I was able to wait at the finish line for my friends to finish while I ate a cheeseburger and fries from TGIFridays. And I downed a glass of wine while I waited for my to go order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the first meltdown went to the first tantrum! And in public with friends-I thought that was a requirement. I love your candid post. You are fine, and you are fast. And, I am going through the same damn thing- with a few little individual twists. xxxxxxoooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, you will be fine, you will get a Kona slot and I will see you do it. You've got it going, no doubt. Like Mira said, you just had one of those days, we all have 'em.
    Now put your big girl panties back on cause Damie and I are following.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What-EVER! You'll make it to Hawaii. And if you don't it's my fault not yours since I've jinxed you by saying 'you know, my friend Joy who goes to IM Hawaii every other year...' whenever anybody asks me how/why I wanted to do an IM in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so totally jinxed now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you got a major meltdown over with and it wasn't in a race. Perfect!

    Actually, you're only allowed so many meltdowns in one year so I suggest you do the next one in a group so you can yell at someone while you're at it. We should schedule a too-long too-fast ride without water or stops while we've still got some hot weather to train in. Let me know if I can help with that! :)

    ReplyDelete