Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another Culture

There's a culture out there of which I am not a part of (but that's ok), and was not totally aware of until today. I went to Starbucks this morning, which is an unusual stop for me. Most mornings I go to High Point, where you get a chocolate covered bean with your drink. Many times, especially when I've come from the pool, I stop by Quetzal, where the coffee beans are roasted right in the building. On lazy summer mornings when there was no spin class for me and everyone was Ironman training, Charlie, Laura, Damie (and when we're lucky, Nancy) and I would go to Bluff City Coffee and hang out on the leather couches until we decided that we should go to our jobs.

But this morning, Starbucks was right on my route from my part time job to my full time job. I went inside and entered another world. It was just after 9 a.m., and the tables were packed with people; most were chatting, not many newspapers were being read, few laptops were out. It was like happy hour at a bar. Do these people work? They were dressed like they do. Then why aren't they at those jobs?

I got my Thanksgiving Blend, as it's still 10 more days until Christmas Blend is out, according to the large board over my head. I didn't quite know what to expect from Thanksgiving Blend, a hint of turkey and dressing? Squash casserole, maybe? Definitely no pumpkin spice; that's reserved for the latte of the same name. I passed on the protein and fiber additive, since I always add milk (protein), and does anybody really need any more help getting things moving than the caffeine already gives you? No vitamin boost either; coffee is the country's biggest source of antioxidants as it is.

I wedged myself between tables, ignoring the lure of the new Starbucks Gold Card sign, since it's for "people who really love Starbucks," and I wouldn't say I really love it. I just love it when it's convenient and my other coffee shops aren't. I also bypassed the "take this card for a free itunes download" card. Nope, no CDs, coffee mugs, gift baskets, or stuffed reindeer toys for me today, thanks. Where did all this stuff come from? I guess it was always here, but I never noticed before I went to independent coffee shops who can't sell a mug for 500% more just because their name is on it.

I really like the place just fine, I think they're geniuses for all they've done to create this culture, and some of their mugs are really cute. I like going and sitting in there in the afternoons with all the students, taking my work with me. It's calming and relaxing and a very nice break from my office. But I guess coming back after an absence has made me realize what a lifestyle it is for some. And there's something about that red Christmas cup that makes you keep going back again and again.

8 comments:

  1. You just wrote about my FAVORITE coffee! I'm not one of those people that hangs out there, and I don't typically get the $5 drinks either, but there is something about the brew there that is almost addicting. I find it hard to drink any other kind of coffee. Actually, we don't have many other good options around here. Carribou was a good alternative, but none in Arkansas.

    I really like the Thanksgiving blend, have some in my canister at home right now. But the Christmas blend is the absolute best!

    OK, I really should just right my own blog about how great Starbucks is instead of hogging all your comment space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, what an interesting culture of yuppie and student debt! I prefer independent student and yuppie debt, myself, but I see the appeal of having the same environment wherever you go. It's soul-sucking-cookie-cutter culture but it's good soul-sucking-cookie-cutter culture.

    As for the mid-day inhabitants, I'm not sure what they do for a living but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of them are hired by Starbucks to dress in black with Italian shoes, small talk, and comment on how this roast is so much better than last week's.

    I blame you, btw, for my addiction to Bluff City and Highpoint americanos. Hello. My name is Charlie. Sometimes I drink alone...

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is Nancy and I'd like a grande fat free latte with one sweet n' low please.

    Though, I have to say, an Americano at Bluff City with friends is way better then any $5 Buck drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee = Legal Crack
    Starbucks sell coffee
    starbucks is a crack house?

    i have to avoid the peppermint hot chocolate this time of year, and the mocha fraps in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm...let's see what new addictions this Harbor Town coffee shop brings...

    Oh and I love Starbucks more now that they won't be serving the Christmas blend until after Thanksgiving! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep nothing like taking old ciggarette ashs mixing them with burnt coffee beans and selling it for 3 bucks a cup.. Ah starbucks....
    YUCK... I like the good ole free coffee at work farmers brothers
    (actually we have starbucks at work too for those who like the burnt stuff)
    Can't wait until I'm over 60 then I can get senior coffee for 10 cents at mcdonalds...

    Well actually I think I can wait 7 years wish it was more.

    Could it be your secret weapon at ironman florida.....

    ReplyDelete