Wednesday, September 16, 2009

no calf ages??

This just in:
"Please be advised that based on athlete feedback, World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) has retracted its ban on garments that cover the calves at this year's Ford Ironman World Championship. Because the age of athletes wearing these garments is not visible, Ironman will eliminate marking athletes' ages on calves in Kona to ensure fairness among the field."

Ok, so how am I supposed to be humiliated by the 70-year-old man who passes me on the bike or the 62-year-old woman who I can't keep up with in the run (both really happened to me, different years) if there is no age written on calves in Kona this year?

It's always a fun game to guess people's ages as they approach and confirm them as they pass. JP, LJG, SA, JH, this could be a fun drinking game for you guys. Sit out at a bar on Ali'i, whoever is farthest off the mark has to chug for every year off they are. It could've been. Oh well.


not my legs

5 comments:

  1. What is this age posting thing anyway? It would be fun to put '18' or '72' just to make others wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep except now you might get a penalty for having the wrong age when they do something next year about this.
    Go search for the posts on slow twitch. Was very heated debate
    which ultimately through jimmy riccetello made them change their mind after providing the sometimes not nice feedback.

    My opinion there are other ways to
    show age group like put it on your race number or different color arm band(note this was for 70.3 and ironman races only which all use the arm band) or different color chip band. Some argument as to the need of body marking as well personally I think its no longer needed with bike having number,helmet your race number ,the chip and swim cap just something you have to wait in line for before your race.
    But it got pretty nasty on slowtwitch a while some said if your real athlete you just go hard and not worry about who your pass in your age group or that it really doesn't make you faster

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first MIM I got passed by a 60-year-old woman. It was awesome! :)

    This is good though, now I won't be confused about my real age during triathlon season since I have to race one year older because my birthday is at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep remember my first or second memphis in may. Some guy over 60 goes by me while I'm walking and says
    "you okay son" that hurt...
    But now I'm getting to be an old fart I pass it on when I pass a studly 29 year old marine with muscles walking I say "you okay son" so what comes around goes around.
    Now I do remember 2005 when joy and I pretty much swam together the second half of the swim(I drafted off her) before that I got passed in the swim by a 72 year old man and one guy with one arm and that was just the swim.

    this ruling only is from wtc for ironman and ironman 70.3 races.
    trying to make it equal so everyone knows who they are racing against.
    they are going to meet and decide for a better method to indicate age groups for races next year(not usat but ironman and ironman 70.3)
    races

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I knew that I got passed by a 72 y-o man and a one armed man in that swim... I'm sure they were on the swim team growing up.

    ReplyDelete