Wednesday, October 28, 2009

suck it up

Yep, "suck it up" is what Pete McCall from ACE said is the key to pushing through exertional pain. And I really have to agree for the most part. I'm definitely one of those in the "harden up" camp. But lately I've been very mental about the whole "it's 90% mental you can do it" thing. Yes, I agree, most people could push a lot harder than they do in exercise and even racing. Maybe that 10% is the most important part though.

I've really pushed through some exertional pain in races. The most poignant example that comes to my mind was IMFL last year when I thought I was about to just collapse from the exertional pain and lack of motor coordination at mile 21ish of the marathon. I even said, 'I can't do this anymore.' Luckily Friend said, 'but you are doing this,' and that was enough motivation for another 5 miles. At that point I could've started walking and most likely lost a good 15 minutes or so, minimum, and in addition, probably my slot. So the point is, I think I understand how to push through.

But a few weeks ago in Kona, it was actually a strike to my confidence to hear that it's all mental. If it's all mental but I can't for the life of me make my legs run, what is that saying about my mental fortitude? I have no more? I left it on the Queen K? It baked to a crisp along with my brain around Kawaihae? I could've even dropped it on the ocean floor a mile from the pier. Normally I can use my finely tuned ability to suck it up. Not the case that day.

Now I wonder if I used it all up. If it's gone for good. Maybe I have to find it or train it again. For now though, there's no need to harden up. I'm not running in the rain if I don't have to. Cold? No riding for me. Just plain don't feel like it? The only thing I'll be sucking up is that margarita on the rocks, a little salt, please.

4 comments:

  1. you still got it! just don't confuse mental fortitude with one tough race or burnout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the mental fortitude to suck up a few margaritas too.

    Good to see you blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take a classic margarita, on the rocks, with salt.

    ReplyDelete