Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cold

It's cold outside. It's also cold in my apartment. And now I have a cold. The second one this month! The toughest part about a cold is the difficulty in deciding if you are sick enough to forgo training or not. Is is worth it to possibly make yourself sicker? Or is taking yet another day off just going to exponentially increase that detraining effect? Once again, I get to struggle with these questions daily.

There's an old theory that if your symptoms are above your neck, you're good to run. If below, stay away. I've found that often if the former is true when I start a run, the latter will be true the next day. The viruses are failing to take into account the fact that I am on the verge of signing up for a half marathon; I have some training to do! My compromised immune system is not due to the lack of vitamins I'm taking. On the contrary, I've been very conscientious about those lately, with my wedding coming up in just... (checking theknot.com)...  108 days. Every bride-to-be knows that hair and nail growth are of utmost importance at this time. In addition to the vitamin supplementation, I have been eating very well (or um, at least, very copiously), and surely have exceeded my RDI of all the antioxidants and immune system boosters. I had both flu shots, I use my hand sanitizer constantly, and I avoid shaking patients' hands unless they are insistent upon it. So what's the problem, body?!

I'm hoping an escape to (slightly) warmer temperatures on the beach this New Year's weekend will give me just the remedy to my cold. And if not my cold, then my constant coldness!

2 comments:

  1. i'm interested in the supplements that you're taking...even though you still have a cold. get well and i'm a believer in rest. after many years of arguing with myself and convincing myself that i'm well enough to work out, i finally realized that i get better sooner when i rest for a few days. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! I didn't know you were engaged! Hope you get to feeling better. I am still contemplating the knicker length...I have been very skeptical as well...maybe I will try it!... baby steps! There is a half marathon in Oxford, MS on Feb. 27th, if you need a fun way to get a long run in!

    ReplyDelete