Friday, January 8, 2010

this could take some getting used to

I did it! I swam this morning. Before even getting out from under the 4 layers of covers in my bed, I planned the attack. My swimsuit was laid out at the foot of the bed, there was a hoodie sweatshirt near it, along with my fuzziest Nike pants. Within approximately 15 seconds of being upright I was dressed. Covered from head to toe. I have this huge window in my bedroom that causes me to be drawn, trance-like, to the bottom side of the heavy bed covers. It's almost impossible for me to exist anywhere else in this room this time of year. Or at least when the temperatures are around 11F. ELEVEN! This is the furthest north I've ever lived, and I have to admit that it's difficult to imagine that I may have to go even further into the arctic zone this year. Please, Air Force people-to-whom-it-may-concern, PLEASE forget we have Cheyenne on that list of potential bases. I know it's probably beautiful, especially in the summer when the southeast is melting in the 95F, 90% humidity. But Honolulu is also beautiful and I can keep all of my fingers and toes there! Plus I can actually venture outside to see it. 


I'm not really a complete wuss. All the time, that is. After my treadmill run on Tuesday and the subsequent Achilles pain, plus Damie's blog about how she runs outside when nobody else does, because nobody else does, I ran outside. It was actually beautiful yesterday afternoon, plus it was 26F or so, and not bad at all. I learned that trail shoes probably would have been helpful, even though there was only about a half inch of snow on the trail. My lightweight trainers with the mesh let in a little too much wetness for my comfort. But besides that, I warmed up nicely. Maybe this isn't so bad. I've run a few trail races, 25 and 50Ks in much colder. It's all about how you dress. And maybe starting out at a quicker pace to get the blood flowing.


I therefore had the motivation to try swimming again. I'm thinking that maybe this once a week swimming is not going to cut it, despite only doing short distance races this year. Or maybe because I'm only doing short stuff. Every extra minute counts a lot more. So I had thoughts of getting to the (indoor) pool deck and it looking like this:







Because seriously, if we have to get out when lightening strikes, it must be just a little too connected to the outside world, right? But instead it was a nice steamy 84 degrees, or so says the sign. The sign which says 84 degrees everyday. But it was comfortable!

I pleaded with Nancy to make the workout total no more than 2000 yards. But once we got in and started doing our favorite pyramid pull set, it went by quickly and warmly. I could pull all day, I love it. But just for a little torture, we did some kicking sprints at the end. You know, working on that lactate clearance. Brutal! But again, warm, so I couldn't complain. I got out at precisely 3000yds completed, and felt totally accomplished. A hot shower, some hot oatmeal, and hot coffee completed my pre-work morning. It may take a little getting used to, but I could handle this routine a few times a week. 

Ooooo, just saw that Wednesday's high is 49! Ha, I may not have to now. :)

3 comments:

  1. you are accomplished!!! hope I get to see you in the am. (ps, the pool today was 89 degrees at Quince- you know I grumbled!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i swam today too and was actually ecstatic to see the pool was 84 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed! Swimming both Tue and Thur this week, maybe the cold weather is growing on you. :)

    ReplyDelete