Wednesday, May 5, 2010

to the coast we go

It's Gulf Coast time! I haven't been to this race in a couple of years, but I think I can still point out every bump in the road after so many loops. 

In our final race preparations, J wore his new wetsuit for the very first time. This was also the very first time he'd gone swimming in any wetsuit, and apparently he was underimpressed by my assertions that wetsuits are the best thing that's ever happened to a less than stellar swimmer. Until he actually swam in it. A few laps in, he said, "so that's where my feet are supposed to be!" and continued on to swim a 100 about 15 seconds faster than he ever had before. He's been won over to my camp now. 

The non-oil-slicked-as-of-now water is still a cool... wait, crap... it's gotten warmer. According to the nearest buoy it is now 78F, but started the day around 75. But wetsuit or no, and being the lousy swimmer that I am, I still want to do the swim rather than a time trial start on the bike or some ridiculousness. 


The website says that it's been since the early 90s that the swim had to be canceled due to rough water. I can only imagine the surf that day, since I've seen many other swims held in what would probably call for a red flag on any other day. I distinctly remember watching a wave of older women go ahead of mine, and one swimmer had a particularly difficult time getting past the breakers. The crowd noticed and started cheering her on with the roar of applause and whooping calls. She turned back around with new found courage and made it out to the smoother water. It still scared me to death. :)


So my expert forecast calls for 75F water, blue skies, light wind, 80F air, 30% humidity, and the fastest race of my life (on this amount of training). And is going to best his 1/2IM PR by over an hour.


Race results to come.



5 comments:

  1. Good luck! This oil is just devastating and I hope that those shores aren't changed forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to both of you! Second one in does the dishes for a week :)

    ReplyDelete