Thursday, July 22, 2010

Irrational fears

I have a terrible fear of deep dark water. I know I've mentioned it before, but it seems to be getting worse. I think it's the upcoming swim in a *new* lake, the same lake that a small airplane crash landed into last week (the pilot is fine). So what bothers me about this is the fact that the airplane sank to the bottom of the lake and they haven't pulled it out yet. I was slightly relieved to read that it's only ~45 feet deep, but I still don't want to know that something that large is down there under me and I can't see it. Or maybe I will be able to see it, I don't know. In reality, I doubt we'll even be in the vicinity of that plane, but still. 

To keep myself calm in deep dark waters of triathlon swims I usually close my eyes while my face is in the water, but it sure is hard to see the foot that is coming at your face when you do that. When the water is really clear and I can see the bottom (ummm, let's see, that's early on in IMFL or in the shallower parts in Hawaii), I'm calmed by it. Sometimes I can get distracted watching the fish or coral. And I have no problem scuba diving to depths of over 100ft. So what's my problem, and what do I do about it??

Speaking of this weekend's race, here's a picture of the lake.


So I'm guessing it'll be an uphill run into T1? :)

2 comments:

  1. now that's a transition! you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:
    1) There is an olympic distance race I usually do in Kelowna, BC every year (around the lake from Penticton...not sure about doing it this year yet) that has scuba divers out in the water on the swim course. It kinda freaked me out at first when I saw them lurking underneath us.

    2) earlier this week I was reading an article on the "blue holes" in the bahamas (yes, while at work. haha). Crazy deep looking random holes in the ocean. I said the exact same thing when I saw it. I would NEVER swim over something like that. Too deep and mysterious. I'd be too busy thinking about what's underneath me. National Geographic didn't even know what's down there. Enough said. haha.

    ...and I didn't know you were moving until I read your last blog post. hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete