Friday, August 27, 2010

for the love of the ipod

I've become much more of a music-listening exerciser this past year than I ever had been before. I'm sure some of it has to do with the size and shape of the object I have to carry to listen to music. Back when it was a bulky cassette-playing walkman or even a discman, I frequently took it out and held it by the wrist strap. Mostly back in those days I had teammates to run with, and conversation or heavy breathing usually filled the air space. 

These days, carrying the iphone for safety anyway, it's just too convenient not to listen to music. Plus the husband always does. Always. I never listen to it in races, whether legal or not, since I have the tendency to get annoyed with certain songs while exercising. Either they're too slow, or just don't evoke quite the right mood for my effort level. Inevitably, I'll get something like, "Feels like you're dying, you're dying," in the middle of an interval. Thanks, Kings of Leon. You're right. 

Having taught 8 or so years of spin class, I know music is important. The selection of the music to go on my CDs, especially when I first started teaching, was a major source of stress for me. I wanted to make sure everyone not only liked the songs I was playing, but was motivated by them to work hard. I relaxed about this after a few years, realizing that you can only please 80% of the people 20% of the time...or whatever that saying is. 
As it turns out, the speed of the song is a real motivator, according to some new research done on cyclists. Participants' heart rates increased as the song tempo increased, and while the perceived exertion also increased, it seemed to motivate them to work harder. Distraction plus motivation.

One study showed that once runners hit about 90% effort, they were unable to increase pace anymore even with the upbeat music. Apparently it's not all mental. But lots of them enjoyed the music anyway. I find that at this level is probably where I get most annoyed with songs that aren't perfect for the moment.


Guilty:

So runners, cyclists, and Jeremy who even swims with a swimP3, how does that music effect you?



8 comments:

  1. Your picture here makes me want to come riding with you tomorrow! Bah, same old Memphis routes! And we can fill the earspace with chatting instead of iTunes. :)

    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am the ONLY one who doesn't use an IPod. I have one and have run easy with it, but I don't like it...I feel I lose being in touch with my running and thoughts with it. Oh well!
    LOVE the pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Jeremy swims with music??? well, I have a billion songs, but I get so tired of the playlists on my ipod. I think I would enjoy running to music more if there was a truly random selection of upbeat music that I like. So, I am 50/50 on music. And, is that a guilty picture after making Jerms climb forever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I load up with a variety of podcasts. They offer a great distraction on my runs. I do switch over to music on tempo runs when i need a bit more motivation! Still too scared to wear it on the bike though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't run or bike with music. It is so annoying to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Just wanted to say thanks for the IM Louisville good luck note and stopping by my blog! And thanks for the advice on the swim start. It worked out really well - I got my extra bit of sleep, had plenty of time to stop at transition, and was only ~25 min back in line to start. I heard some people had been camped out there since 4am, which seems insane to me! You were right about the river being really wide too -- once we went around the buoy, I kept thinking I'd veered off course because I didn't see people around me, but it was just because everyone really spread out. It was a really fun race, and I'm already getting antsy to do another IM!
    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the song excerpt from your intervals. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and this: I love running with it? But racing, notsomuch. I find music tends to annoy me A LOT during races. Don't understand why.

    ReplyDelete