Thursday, September 23, 2010

Learning

I've been going to more classes at the gym here just for something interesting to do. I can usually stand another hour of spinning or yoga in my day. I'm trying to not be too critical of the instructors, because for the most part, the classes are entertaining and I get a workout in. And that's what I'm there for-- not to learn tidbits about exercise.

Some of the gems heard in these classes at the gym amuse and sometimes even amaze me for their lack of actual scientific basis. I just can't help but share them!

"Make sure you get enough oxygen in your lungs!" --And remember to keep those hearts beating!

"If you have healthy hamstrings, you have a healthy body" --I'm sure the guy with heart failure and lung cancer is happy to hear that all he needs is a good regimen of stretching.

"This is a good exercise especially for you who are cyclers." -- What kind of cyclers? REcyclers?

"The most common injuries for people who ride bikes are in their shoulders." -- said as encouragement to sit up and flap our arms up and down to "strengthen" them. Is she referring to falling and separating a shoulder? Can you show us some statistics on that?

"The first thing you're going to burn this morning is what you just ate for breakfast that's in your stomach. Then you'll burn the glycogen in your muscles, and only when that is gone do you burn fat." -- So after we all toss our cookies, then run 20 miles to burn up the stores of glycogen, we'll start burning fat... IF we don't go into a hypoglycemic coma first. That must be new research.

"When you squat make sure your knees don't collapse inward. That can cause Female Athlete Triad." -- my fav from back in Mississippi. Yeah if your knees collapse in, you may become anorexic, amenorrheic, and suddenly develop osteoporosis.

So while these are only quotes, don't think I'm not thoroughly amused by all the new moves I'm shown in spin classes as well. Some days I almost can't keep pedaling because I'm laughing so hard; it's very reminiscent of the days of spinning at the downtown Wellworx. Anyway, like I said, I'm entertained and I get a workout. And I seem to be learning some new concepts along the way.

3 comments:

  1. Hah! I should start transcribing some of the ridiculous things I hear in my gym classes. Like 45 minutes of spinning burns 600 calories; or women should lift heavy weights b/c they'll never bulk up; or women should only lift light weights so they don't bulk up. Or, the spinning instructor who recently told me there was no way spinning could be hard on my knees b/c her partner had bad knees and as long as she used her abs, she was fine. Or the guy who has us lean our forearms on our handlebars while we sprint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg- Joy, I just started laughing so hard reading these...just picturing your face. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying, I laughed so hard. And even though you'd told me these, reading them with your thoughts is even better. How DO you pedal through all the humor?

    ReplyDelete