Thursday, January 13, 2011

Marathon Week is Here!


It's almost time to head to Phoenix for my 2nd/13th marathon. I've been tapering really (too) well these last two weeks while sitting all day trying to learn to speak in acronyms and form numbers. If immersion learning really works, I should be fluent by February.

Before races I always get paranoid about catching a cold.  To help matters, now I'm afraid of food poisoning. There was a continuously running video playing just beyond my cubicle all day today, teaching me all about foodbourne illnesses. Did you know that you shouldn't buy raw chicken that's slimy, smelly, or funny colored? Apparently not everyone has access to such information. I poured out a pot of lumpy moldy coffee that was siting next to some cheese left out all night in the break room. I keep meeting new people and shaking hands, and since I don't have my own computer yet I'm using others'. Gaaak I feel dirty!

At this point in the game I should be coming up with all possible excuses for why I may fail to run a decent marathon Sunday. Instead I'm trying the no-way-I'm-going-to-run-anything-but-a-major-PR approach. So excuses will only be listed after the race. And even if it's not a great race for me, I still get a 4 day weekend in sunny warm Phoenix. Reward for sticking (somewhat) to the training.
 

1 comment: