Thursday, May 26, 2011

I really like Macca. I just read this excerpt from his new book, I'm Here to Win. I know he's slightly cocky, a little outspoken, and has a tendency to rub people the wrong way. But I really like his confidence. And I feel like we bonded in Kona one year when we both relaxed prerace by the hotel pool. I think he smiled at me. 

He "lost" the first few times he went to Kona. Trouble with the heat and humidity (I hear you, brotha) were realized his first year there, in 2002, my first year there! Of course, I finished up the race with a 5:30+ marathon; he DNFed. Joy = 1, Macca = 0. He "humiliated" himself there the next year with a 9:32 finish time (I know, how embarrassing), but went on to win in '07. Joy = 1, Macca =~5. I happen to remember coming back down Palani -- on the bike-- while hearing his name announced at the finish line. Finishing. He had another rough few years there in '08 and '09 (me too!), then figured his stuff out in time to win again in 2010. He just never gives up. 

I unfortunately don't have the same attitude right now. I don't have confidence anymore, and I don't have the drive to get back where I used to be (mostly because it seems completely unattainable). But I find a lot of inspiration in his story of lots of successes and a good many failures along the way too. He's really not afraid to fail. I need to remember that.

On a completely different note, I learned this week that 1) cactus leaves (branches? stems?) just like these are sold in the produce department in Walmart, right next to the peppers. I have no idea how to cook them, but I do know I need to de-prickle them first. And while this is not my front "yard," it is similar. Just with more vegetation than mine. And much neater rocks.


 


And I learned that 2) this thing below is called a guava. And here I've been calling it a giant asparagus all this time. Before these bloom, the stalk, which is about 15 feet tall, looks exactly like an asparagus stalk. I read that they only bloom like this once in their life, after living 5-35 years as a small pointy succulent.  That's a way to retire for sure.


Consider yourself a little more educated. 

This weekend holds the excitement of a good friends and good food in Santa Fe. Happy Memorial Day!

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to add that one to my books to read list. What was the series you recommended that wasn't the Hunger Games? I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you better get it back. if you have no confidence, what do I have?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got that book, glad to hear it is good! Give yourself a break, marriage is such a change and adjustment time. At least you are staying fit and having fun together! That is what it is all about! You are an awesome athlete:))!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KR, you are getting fitter by the day with your Ironman training. What is it, about 12 weeks now? Exciting!

    Thanks for the reminder Ali. I am having fun, after all, even this slow. :)

    ReplyDelete