Thursday, March 1, 2012

Taper Time! 3 weeks to go

It's March, the month I've been thinking about for the last 8 now! I'll be hitting the 37 week mark tomorrow, which means just one thing: it's time to taper. I've done the work, and now it's time to sit back and relax, and prop my feet up. While lying on the ironing board.


I'm taking this literally. Actually, my baby is still breech, so I've been doing everything possible to get him to flip. The fact that he's not in position has caused me a lot of stress. My doctor will deliver by cesarean if breech, and that was definitely not in my plans. I know there are always surprises and circumstances that pop up right before or during a race that you've been planning for months. This changes the whole race for me. I've found that I've stopped reading my Bradley and Ina May books on natural childbirth, and my obsession with getting the baby to turn is changing to finding reasons why cesareans are actually chosen by some people. There must be positives.

Otherwise, I plan on tapering as I've always done. Since most of the work is done, I need to concentrate on not ruining my race delivery now. Rest is important in this stage, and as Gordo writes, I might want to reduce my outside commitments. Done! The last week or two it has been hard for me to commit to work out partners, and I had to quit my pro bono swim lessons. That wasn't hard, since they wanted to meet at 6 am. I need my rest.

"Lay out all gear well in advance," says Gordo, along with ensuring the equipment is 100% functional. The room is stocked and the cats have tested the comfort of all soft surfaces.


The jogging stroller got a good shaking out for potential loose parts as soon as it was put together (thanks J). We even figured out and installed the carseat base.

I'm not waking up earlier to get ready for the race day alarm, but I am waking up frequently in the middle of the night, and often spending an hour or more lying awake (usually trying to massage baby into a better position). That's great training for nursing.

Since I'm still trying to put some fat on this baby, I'm not eating less, but trying to get an abundance of good nutrients, lots of fluid, and plenty of protein. My exercise has been steady, but may be taking a hit due to a newly developed cough and cold (which I'm trying not to medicate at all). And swimming is out for the next two weeks due to both pools in town being simultaneously closed. I'm still enjoying running most, and even kept up with a group last weekend. We dropped one guy :)

Staying out of the sun has been harder, since it's been beautiful outside, but I am avoiding alcohol and naps. There's no expo to limit my time in, but I don't spend a lot of time in baby stores or around new moms with horror stories. That has to be similar to staying away from the expo.

The mental imagery is the hardest for me with this new twist of natural vs cesarean. I'm trying to go through each with the most positive thoughts. The ending is always the same, with a new healthy baby boy to take home. Just like crossing the finish line when you know you'll get there no matter what.

March = spring, and spring is here!

My beautiful V-day flowers from Jeremy :)

From our back balcony at sunset

I'm really going to get bigger than this?!


5 comments:

  1. In regards to your previous post... Take this advice, if you choose. When I was preggo with my son, I didn't do near the exercise you do, but I was on the elliptical or swimming at least an hour/day until the day my water broke (at 39 weeks and some change.) People made snide remarks constantly. I even had one fellow pregger girl tell me that I needed to gain more weight otherwise my "baby was going to be too tiny." To her surprise, my baby was bigger than HERS at birth, though I was NOT bigger than her. He's growing just fine in there and you are doing him the greatest service you can by keeping healthy. Also, my doctor was a big supporter of my exercising and she swears that's one of the sole reasons I had such a wonderful birth (water broke at 10pm, had baby by 8am with no drugs just as I had wanted. And that was the first baby too!) Also, secondary to continuing to exercise as soon as it was safe after birth (along with breastfeeding), I was able to get to my pre baby weight (and even less) within weeks. Ignore the naysayers and keep up the good work.
    PS This is one of Jeremy's Jackson friends and we are still holding out hope that when he's done, ya'll will return!
    Now, go think upside down thoughts for that baby boy. Regardless of what happens or how he gets here, as long as he's here safely, you'll have done a WONDERFUL job.
    Sara Watts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! That's some good encouragement. I love that you got to prove the naysayers wrong! I will be praying for my L&D to go just like yours did :)

    We really miss Jackson (even after the short time I lived there) and are definitely looking forward to at least being back near home next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read your blog more often since our due dates are so close! I had an emergency c-section with my first and have to have a scheduled c-section this time. I would also prefer to deliver naturally but c-sections aren't as terrible as I'd feared. And the one upside of a c-section is your baby will have a perfectly shaped little head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't help but grin when you said you gave up alcohol. that is good:) ha ha! and, thanks for the pic of the ironing board...it was hard to picture on the phone. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy! You are amazing and look beautiful! So fun to follow along your journey. You are going to be such a good mama :) you better bring that sweet baby boy to Memphis soon so we can all meet him!!

    ReplyDelete