Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In some shape

My big goal for the summer, besides sleeping 5 or more hours straight, is a return to racing. I planned my first attempt for the Ruidoso Sprint Triathlon, up on the mountain, just down the street from where Hunter was born. It occurred to me just this past week how quickly this race is approaching. It's in less than 6 weeks. In the past this would have seemed like plenty of time. This spring, time is flying quickly and my legs are not. I'm in some shape, but it's not race shape.

Back on the Quintana Roo for the first time since my last race in October, I realized that sitting straight up on the trainer or spin bike fails to train one critical area (no, it has nothing to do with the saddle). My neck and upper traps were almost shaking with effort just a few miles into the ride. Winter Neck is what I've always called the pain that accompanies the first few rides of the spring when you can't imagine how you ever spent more than 30 minutes in that atrocious position. (Do others have this problem, or is it just my bike set up? hmmm) It's worse than ever this year, and I realized it's because a good aero position is pretty much the opposite of nursing position for the neck area. And the latter is the position you'll most commonly find me in these days. I'm ready for a nursing ultramarathon. 

On the plus side of my baby training, my biceps are getting super strong with the gradual increase in my load (that baby is getting heavier every day). I'm also doing lots of deep squats, like when I have the baby in a carrier and drop something on the floor. You can't just lean over and dump the baby out. Balance is something else I'm inadvertently working on. This increasing baby load surprises me every time I go from sitting on the floor with him to trying to stand. He's now moving so much and getting so strong that he can throw me off balance without warning.

I actually went to the pool last week, and swam this time (instead of just chatting and showing off the baby). When I jumped in I immediately noticed the lack of buoy in my stomach. I practically sank. You'd think my two new buoys would help. I was super slow, but since I rarely timed anything while pregnant, I thankfully don't know if I'm actually slower now. On the up side, flipturns are significantly easier.

Since I've actually attempted each of the 3 sports required in a triathlon now, maybe I'm ready? In my crazy little mind I'd wanted to go faster than I did last year at this race (and beat that one chick on the run-- the one who told me my run was "there" but I needed to work on my swim -- what? my run sucked last year and she beat it).

The most important part of getting ready for this race might be getting a new race suit that covers a bit more. Any brand suggestions? It's been a while since I've gotten to choose. 

I've been training my little cheerleader with daily walks still. He's going to wonder why he's not participating.



2 comments:

  1. so so cute. hmmmmm....suits to wear. That is so true, huh? You have a choice!!! I am really liking the squadra stuff. do you think you will go with a one piece again or get a shorts/top combo?

    ReplyDelete