Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Race Week!

I haven't raced a triathlon not pregnant since this race last year. It has occurred to me this week that my choice of a first race could be a difficult one; it's at 7000ft and anything but flat. And the run is half trail. Why did I pick this one again? Oh yeah, because it's only an hour away and the trophies are carved wood bears (very large and awesome carved wood bears). They are very appropriate, since last time I was on the run trail this winter I saw this:


I turned around soon after, mostly because it was wet, icy, slippery, and sloped into the lake. And I was pregnant.

It's good I wanted to do a semi-taper for this race. First, our pool has been closed for the last week for mostly unexplained reasons. And we aren't given a lap lane in the outdoor Olympic sized pool. What a waste. So my taper from 2000m once a week has lead me to 0m a week. I'm going to try to get one more swim in dodging the kids, probably wearing my paddles for protection, this week.

I've been complaining of arm pain lately. This fat baby has given me tendinitis, and now I feel carpal tunnel syndrome coming on. But Sunday night I felt especially achy. If that's what a 90 year old feels like I'm not sure I want to be 90. Jeremy said that's how he felt on so little broken sleep during residency. I asked myself if I was doing too much exercise, and the answer was a definite no. Sleep must be the issue. During the night I felt like I'd neglected to feed H on one side; it was so painful. Monday morning I was still dragging and achy, so I napped with the baby. There was no run or even walk that was going to happen feeling like that. It kind of hit me right as the wise big sister texted me, that this was a case of mastitis. A couple of antibiotics later, and I'm a new girl. We got out this morning for a run, and H stayed awake for 4 miles. I was just about home and finished with the run when he fell asleep. I've decided that I'm going to keep running as long as he sleeps, so right past the house we went. I did small loops for another 3.5 miles until that darn sun sneaked through the stroller shade and woke him up. My neighbors must think I'm crazy going back and forth and around and around.

The race day plan is to set an alarm, but probably wake up somewhere around 4-4:30, when H wants to eat. I may go ahead and get ready and drag the poor husband out of bed to start our trek up the mountain. I am hoping to have a sleeping baby during the drive. Maybe even a sleeping mommy... Besides all the triathlon gear, I'm also going to be packing the baby gear, including the pump. If he doesn't want to eat right before the gun starts the race, I may be in the locker room pumping. The race should last just over an hour, but fat babies can't miss meals!


I've learned to make very loose plans with a baby, so we'll see how that goes. As long as I come home with a carved bear and a happy baby, it will be a success.

1 comment:

  1. If you can coordinate the logistics of getting you to the start line and keeping the baby happy, the race will seem easy! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete