Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Upgrades

I'm not racing much lately, and I seem to be spending that extra entry fee money on things I don't really need. But this isn't a habit for me, since I'm actually a very frugal (cheap?) person, although it may be becoming one. I used to only buy large triathlon toys when something got stolen. So that happened a few times with bikes (and swim gear, and some triathlon clothing and shoes...), and my current bike is actually the latest replacement for a stolen. It's getting a little old; it's almost 6 years old now. But it has some new parts. Last year I couldn't pass up a great deal on a friend's Zed Techs. My old Zipps were about 10 years old, and doing just fine, by the way. Then I came across a barely used wetsuit and figured that again, my almost 10-year-old one is probably a little outdated. I try not to read too many of the tech articles about how much better current equipment is when I have my antique stuff still in use. 

This year, being a new mom and hypersensitive to the cat hair that was a second layer of carpet on our floor, I was finally convinced to buy a new vacuum cleaner. And it is awesome. I really never thought I'd love a household cleaning tool so much. It comes in handy to not only get up every last cat hair (and Joy hair -- post-pregnancy hair loss is no joke!!), but it's also become my most trusted baby soother and sleep inducer. I thought that was my big purchase for the year, since I'm not racing much anyway.

Hunter has never been one of those babies that falls asleep in the car. In fact, he seems to dislike the car seat. Since he's getting close to the maximum weight for our infant seat (yes already), I decided to go ahead and splurge on a new plush, cozy, luxury seat. If it makes him comfortable, I'm all for it. We will see today how he likes it.

Next on the upgrade list is something Jeremy has been pushing for for a while. And no,  not the ipad. He got that for his I-finished-my-last-Ironman reward. It's a king sized bed. Since the whole family has been sleeping in the same queen bed for several months now, and at least one of us doesn't have enough room (I'm not saying who (me) ), I caved. Now don't tell anybody that the pediatrician lets the baby sleep with us (but The One Who Feeds gets to decide). We should all be getting a lot more comfortable sleep as soon as that behemoth gets delivered.

I thought that was it for a while. Nothing else new. Then a PowerTap on a 650c wheel opportunity popped up. I'm actually a big numbers person. I like data and statistics and keeping my numbers in a log. This would be surprising if anybody saw how little I even run with a watch these days. But I've always had dreams of a PT in the back of my head. I couldn't resist, so I bought it. It's already here, but I'm anxiously awaiting one little part before it becomes functional. This is something that will get me excited about my bike again. And I'll have a good reason to be a number nerd.

I really haven't done a lot of upgrading in my 16 years of triathlon --I even borrowed a bike for my first 2 seasons -- so I was due for some new stuff, right? Soon I will be recovering from my watt-metered intervals on a spacious king sized bed atop a spotlessly clean carpet.

At least somebody has plenty of room...

1 comment:

  1. ha ha! love it. you are my most techy friend now. computrainer and power tap! just be ready, because I heard that USAT is changing the rule for no rubber speed suits for next year, so put that on the list. Enjoy the new data!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete