Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Oceanside: the highlights

There's just too much to do in So Cal for me to find time to write much about the race yet, so I'll give the brief summary now, with details later.

I didn't panic in the swim, but I admit, I'm slow! The bike was beautiful and scenic, and I really enjoyed it until I flatted on my rear tire at mile 32 and got my first experience changing a tubular. I was super timid afterward, and of course that didn't help me make up for lost time.

The run got warm and had more challenges than I expected, but without knowing my pace at all, I pulled off a decent split.

Thirteenth in my AG and a 5:23 isn't exactly what I hoped for, but I feel like it was a success under the circumstances!

It's a really great race, and all the stress of the travel and logistics was actually worth it! Hunter seemed to miss me, and especially his milk; he can't get enough since then. I'm convincing Jeremy to come back and race here soon I hope.

Now off to Sea World!

2 comments: