Thursday, January 23, 2014

Extra training

I have been working on my strength training like I said I would, and already the SI joint seems to be better. Could the difference be that I have also stopped going to the chiropractor? Hmmm.

Strength training does not take long for me, unless it is a combined strength/gossip session, which can be super time consuming. So really, that may count as social time that happens to involve a little exercise. Anyway, I get downstairs, get my TRXing, medicine balling, and jumping done fast. 

I also get some extra credit training in most days. While Mommy and Me yoga sounds appealing, to the Mommy, at least, I know it wouldn't go over so well with the Toddler. Our training together includes much less structured moves. Hunter, the toddler coach, loves to have me retrieve "more animals" for him when he realizes some of the gang are missing. So he waits patiently and tells me to run! to go get it. He moves his arms for emphasis. 

I don't always get instructed to run! alone. Holding the entirety of the 30+ pound little one -- "carry Hunter, run!"-- and running through the house, usually to collapse on the bed, is one of the main forms of speedwork I do. He's a good coach, always having me drink from one of the dozen bike bottles filled with water at all times, scattered throughout the house. (It's funny, he drank literally one time out of a baby bottle but is all about the fuel belt mini bottles.)

The bottle is always on hand.


Drink up, Mom.

 

Nap time and bedtime are two other workout times for me. The quickest way to get the toddler to sleep is carrying him in the Ergo and vacuuming. He even requests it. While the vacuuming can be difficult on some rugs, working my shoulders thoroughly, the real work is done in the bouncing quarter squats I must do a thousand times some nights. And not just any old quarter squats, I have added weight, and I do them one leg at a time. 

While the possibly misnamed Ergo is one of the most comfortable carriers I've used, I can't help but wonder if the pressure it puts on my lower back is partially to blame for my SI issues. At least my legs are getting stronger one nap time at a time.  

Today the health buzz was about a new study that links time spent sitting to heart disease.  Is this really a surprise to anyone? As opposed to most of my previous jobs, being Hunter's mom is the least sedentary.  I cannot think of a time I sit for more than a couple minutes at a time. He's not a child who likes to play by himself; no, he gets any audience quickly involved. And I'm so glad he does!

I'm sure my little coach will have me doing more calisthenics and intervals any time now. Lucky for me, I've only heard him count to six (update: ten) so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment