Sunday, February 23, 2014

The week's successes


The big success of the week was Jeremy keeping his stomach bug germs to himself. I'm not sure I can even credit myself for sanitizing the house and not coming within 2 yards of him for 36 hours. It was surely just pure luck. Vomiting all night is no picnic itself, but I don't ever want to try to do it while taking care of a sick little one at the same time. We dodged a bullet. 

Moderately successful was my last track workout before next weekend's half marathon. I completed it, minus one recovery jog and a bit of warm up and cool down, so there's that. During the 4x1.5 miles at half marathon pace, I was slow for all except one, making me wonder why it is my goal pace to begin with. Expectations of how fast you should be are funny things. I started thinking of a workout one day in college cross country. I remember it was early in the season and we were doing 1200s around the practice football field. Having the football team practicing all the while made it not unlike dodge ball to us runners, but with balls and large people to dodge. But anyway, about half the team was crying for some reason. I had no idea what was going on; instead, the other dry eyes and I stood there bewildered. My hunch tells me it had to do with self expectations and comparisons to others, which is a tough thing to deal with along with the pain of godawful workouts like endless 1200 repeats. So at least the only person aware of my slowness this week was myself. And I was disappointed, but I'm also excellent at coming up with excuses (see my last race report). All in all, marginally successful. 

And for my final success of the week, we move on to craft projects. To some, I may be an artsy craftsy type. To others, I'm an amateur. But the sheep project? Nailed it. 



I'm working on the rest of the flock in an array of spring colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment