Friday, May 16, 2014

Sprint tris and moms

I got my nineteenth triathlon season started Saturday with AIM High in Bryant. It was a fantastic pool, great course, and perfectly run race by All In Multisport. In its second year, it is bound to become a target race for many, especially beginners who desire the safety of a pool swim.

Of course there are risks, for example the guy in front of you may forget, within the very first lap, that you are swimming on the LEFT side of the lanes, and gash your neck and give you whiplash when he pounds you head on. And then he may forget again in the next lane, barely avoiding you again. I don't think too many people heard my variation on a common expletive. I said "fudge," actually. 


Despite panicking when I learned Jeremy had registered me with an estimated 400 yard swim time of 5:45, which I never have accomplished even in my best  shape, he seeded me in a nice position, where I didn't have to pass anybody on the swim and had a few go by me easily. And I am actually pretty proud of my 7:20ish swim time! I swim THAT little now. 

Once out on the foggy roads on the bike, I was near a guy for a bit, determined to keep him close, until a couple of little downhills where I could not keep up. And then it was no man's land the rest of the ride. I didn't see one other bike. I enjoyed myself, a little more than I probably should've, and eventually got back around to transition. The run was similar, but with an out and back, it kept me thinking about racing since there were people out there doing just that! 

Soon after finishing I got to see Damie's sweet little Isla for the first time in most of her life, and then Jeremy brought Hunter out. Leslie was here from Memphis too, and my favorite part of the race was definitely getting to see all of them just like old times. 

We loved hanging out with D and baby Isla later that afternoon at our house. Hunter had so much fun with her, that now we are considering getting him a baby sister. Just not yet. 


Here, let's take a pic all together! Oops Isla is on the move...
Now Hunter is...
There we go!

I realized if I'm going to try to race again this year, I need to work on things like my nutrition (so I don't throw up in my mouth the whole bike, or feel like I'm in one of those awful dreams where something is chasing me but my legs won't run), and figure out what to wear (so I don't have to tuck my blousy shirt into my shorts and look really pro). 

Happy late Mother's Day to all the Mommys of human and furry babies!

The selfie captured

1 comment: