Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Missing the Motivation

...to race, that is. I think it basically comes down to stress. There is a degree of stress that goes into racing, good stress most of the time (eustress, for the technical types), even when you are in tip top shape and eagerly awaiting your chance to go. The details of final preparation, gear checks, lists, a slight fear of the pain you will inflict on yourself. 

I know I don't have a necessarily stressful job, or at least one that involves deadlines or public speaking. Except, on second thought, I do have to feed the toddler every single day before he gets cranky, and I am talking constantly to an audience (edit: I'm answering questions. There are so many questions about the world to be answered. Some questions I've never pondered before, and then some answers I may get slightly wrong. Like why it gets colder in the winter--it's not as simple as I made it!). There is an increased level of stress involved in the care of little children, and I do work very hard at it. I find myself avoiding participation in races this year, just because the stress is too great given the reward of finishing another race with a ho-hum result. If I could really do something fantastic on my 6 hrs/week, I might change my mind. 

I am, on the other hand, really enjoying triathlon training itself. Group rides, a "super brick" on a Saturday, yeah count me in! I want to be part of that, and I'll even try to beat you on the one mile all out brick run, but strap a chip on my ankle and I am out. 

For now you can find me out running with the stroller up monster hills (I mean, 450ft of climbing in 3.3 miles?! WTF), then relaxing in the dirt or sand, with a glass of wine in one hand, and a bulldozer in the other. 

Big, 


Or small

Even in the rain

Best day ever: backhoe working right across the street (AND it's garbage day)
 

4 comments:

  1. indeed! feeling much the same way. loving when my legs move, but missing the motivation for another blah result. xo (ps, still 103+) ARGHHHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Joy! You sum up what many of us feel in this stage of life. Know that your not alone. This too shall pass and when it does, I'm going to need a training coach :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote/photo:
    Best day ever: backhoe working right across the street (AND it's garbage day)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect life - a glass of wine in one hand and a bulldozer in the other.

    ReplyDelete