Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Running Pause

It has finally come to this. I have stopped running after a few weeks of mega-mileage, defined as one run a week, around 3-4 miles. I thought this would be a good time to stop, since it's fall, the season of happy running, cooler temperatures, uncomfortable cycling, and eating of rich decadent foods. I had just started feeling fitter, like my more normal self after birthing this baby; my abs had returned to a non-irritated state, some of the puffiness was diminishing, and I could stay aerobic during my moderate trainer rides. Instead of continuing this trend, I think I'll hibernate and eat roasted marshmallows and s'mores in the increasing darkness that will soon be winter. 

It's that or go in for a hip scope, because that's something to do when your usual day involves lots of jumping on a trampoline while having a baby wrapped onto you. (She loves it, actually.) This running pause is just an experiment, along with the countless clamshells and leg lifts I do between foam rolling sets and crunches. Surely it's just a muscle imbalance or lack of the elusive "core strength" that causes my hip pain. Maybe I don't drink enough beet or tart cherry juices these days. 

I've changed my shoes, my terrain, frequency, speed, cadence, bike position, breakfast, everything. I roll, stretch, don't stretch, strengthen, rest, mobilize, immobilize. Can someone please come out with a miracle cure-all soon? I mean, it's 2015 already. 

When Jeremy asked if I missed running I realized I don't really, because it hurts. So don't feel too sorry for me, since I'd rather be on my trainer re-watching old drama TV shows in the perfect temperature and humidity wearing just my shorts and a sports bra while having an audience of kittens and being able to browse Pinterest for wall paint colors and under-the-stairs-projects for my poor unsuspecting husband. And shop online. And lastly, do a workout if I remember to. Nobody wants chapped cheeks from running in the cold dark windiness of early winter anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment