Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fears and Doubts

I'm scared of swimming. It's been so long since I've been in the pool that I'm not sure I remember what bilateral breathing is. What started as a nice break at the end of the seaon became four solid months with only THREE swim workouts. My total yardage in four months is what I should be doing in a week!

Putting off joining the Y has now become a fear of getting back into the water. I've always somewhat enjoyed swimming once I finally get there, so initially there was no dread. With two pool memberships ending and the only pool I'm a member of located about 20 miles away from my house, it was at first only a logistical problem. Now all those years of hard work have surely gone right down the drain (at the bottom of the pool, where I'll be sinking to next time), and I'll be getting plenty more "wow, you have a LOT of room for improvement on the swim"s in the upcoming season.

Inspiration! I need inspiration! I got a new swimsuit, lost it, found it; I'll start a new master's program; I'll have new swimming buddies.... will it be enough?? Stay tuned....

1 comment: