Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mile Repeats

Yes, I walk water stops in races. It's gotten to be such a habit and something I so look forward to, that I've even done it in sprint tris (and, um, 10Ks). Before the occasional straight-up 5k, I have to stand at the starting line repeating in my head, "NO walking the water stops, NO walking the water stops." It's somewhat of a Pavlovian effect now, so that I see the oasis in the distance and my legs start picking up the pace, the finish line of this mile repeat quickly approaching. I tend to grab my drink at full speed, only coming to a complete walk about 10 steps later.

Generally these little slices of Heaven occur about once per mile. However, at Gulf Coast a few weeks ago, someone's placement strategy was off, and we had a few miles with aid stations every half mile. This completely messes with my pacing strategy, and I place sole blame on the aid station coordinator for my terrible run split.

When I saw this picture of me at mile 12 at GCT, I had to wonder, am I too relaxed during the Water Stop Walk or is this really a time to ponder the importance of hydroxy acids in preventing neck skin sagging?


4 comments:

  1. oh too funny :) it looks like you are palpating for your hyoid bone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually what I am doing, Damie. I just thought maybe nobody would know what that meant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy-
    Damie is always talking about you - so I thought I would come over and check out your blog. You aren't really walking that water stop, are you?? !!! :) Good luck w/ Damie this weekend! Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Race walking is an Olympic sport. All of the medals, all of the water, none of the guilt.

    ReplyDelete