Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Art of Conversation

"..Questions are the breath of life for a conversation." -James Nathan Miller

It's amazing the things you can learn from children-- even very young children. At the age of 1 year, 11 months, and 26 days, my nephew Jackson knows more than many, many adults I come in contact with regularly... about holding a conversation, at least.

I distinctly remember two interesting, although short conversations Jackson and I had when I went to visit him just before his second birthday. The setting of the first one was at the breakfast table when I was spreading jelly on my toast. "What are you doing Joy?" his tiny voice asked. "I'm putting jelly on my toast." "Is it good?" was the curious second question. Looking back, I was the conversation ender. Due to my surprise at this little toddler being so interested in my actions, I just answered his questions without asking any of him. Bad conversationalist, Joy.

The next day as I was packing my bags to go back home, he asked another question of me, "You going to your house Joy?" I responded with a yes, I have to go home today. "What will you do there?" Again, I just responded without asking anything of him as I marveled at how he seemed truly interested in what I had to say.

They say conversation is a learned skill, you have to develop it over time. When I searched the internet for learning to be a good conversationalist, some tips that I found included "Learn to be interested in your fellow human beings," "Ask the proper questions," and "Listen and do not monopolize the conversation." Jackson could've written this article, if only he could write whole words. I'm going to keep working on my little Dale Carnegie Jr... on second thought, I think it's the other way around.

1 comment:

  1. Argh! My comment just got deleted. As I was saying...

    Such great wisdom on genuine conversations. I like that Jackson! Here's to hoping that many more adults (like myself!) will take tips from him. So, what are you doing after work today, Joy? Is it fun?

    ReplyDelete