Monday, June 2, 2008

Rock and Roll

4 down, 0 to go for my May races (good thing, since May's over). Finally, they're all complete and I can take a little time to rest.

Prerace: Damie and I went down to Macon on Friday morning for her very first half-Ironman, the Rock and Roll Man. We spent the entire day driving, stopped in traffic, or waiting in registration lines. After our delicious Subway dinner we went to bed pretty early. I had to get my rest before my alarm went off at 3:50 a.m. central time!! Ok, so we were on eastern time, but that's really early to my sleep-loving body. We got to the race site in plenty of time to get everything ready, finish eating breakfast, take a nap in the car, stand in porta potty line, and even get in a swim warm up.

Swim: The water temperature was off by one and a half degrees. It was 77.5, and I needed it to be 79. In the days leading up to the race, even race morning, I was hoping for a wetsuit-legal swim. I got my wish, but changed my mind about it around 400 yards into the swim. Who would have guessed that swimming in a full body, black neoprene suit and a black cap in the Georgia morning sun would get me overheated? Not I. Every 10th stroke or so during the "one loop affair" (as was stated on the website), I had to maneuver my arm to the neck of my suit to open it up to let in some refreshing cool water. I blame this for my swim time: 36:30. They actually added part of transition into the swim times, like I need it to look any slower than it was. Transition started with a 400m jog up a very large steep hill, after you got out of the ankle deep sand on the beach. A good little anaerobic effort to warm me up for the bike!

Bike: I thought this was a great course with rolling hills and smoothly paved roads. None of the hills were as bad as I expected, although they were constant for the most part. I kept holding back in anticipation of larger hills to come, but they never appeared. I only saw one guy drafting the whole time, and I actually kept my mouth shut this time. At the end of the ride, I felt like I could've pushed it a little harder and gone a few minutes fast than my 2:45.

Run: There was no shade except for the small patches of tree shadows dotting the other side of the road, but I felt great during at least the first 3 miles of the run anyway. At about 5 miles, just as I was feeling a meltdown coming on, I saw a small blue suited runner coming the other direction. Just the one I'd been looking for-- Damie! She was looking really strong and gave me a good yell. I think I gave her a pathetic "good job" or something, all I could muster at that point. There were 3 turnarounds on the run course. The first one was long enough that I could see who was in front of me. By that point, there were only 2 women, way ahead. I had recently passed a couple others, one in my age group, and one younger, and they were hanging on strong behind me. By the short turnarounds at miles 8 and 9, I was feeling good enough to have some competitiveness. Doing timechecks in my head (I'm so bad at math when running), I calculated that I may be able to hold off Kelly, a really fast runner coming up behind me, but there was some new girl blazing through the miles and getting awfully close. The finish line came just in time, and I held my place. Actually one of the girls in front of me, an injured pro, DNFed and I moved up to second! Kirsten, the winner, had no need to worry about me, since I was 18 minutes behind her. Run 1:44, total 5:10.

I think I have these 5:05-5:15 half IM times nailed down. Now I'd like to see some consistency in the sub-5 range!

Damie did awesome, finishing up very strong with a 7 minute last mile! She broke her goal time by 20 minutes, got 3rd in her age group, and was barely even sore Sunday. She's destined for a great full Ironman this fall, I'm sure of it.

I'm stealing Damie's picture for my post too! :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through May- in style, too, I must say. Thank you so much for being there for me with for so many of my "first steps" and challenges. You are a great cheerleader, friend, and bud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joy!! Awesome race!! Way to hammer it out in the heat and hills!! By the way, Duane and i saw you biking down town last night! No helmet!!! Bad Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Angie, couldn't have been me...! Ok, maybe when i was riding my mtb home from work..don't tell anybody, ok? :)

    Damie I am so proud of you and glad I could come cheer you on at your first half! Fun trip, thanks for going with me! You really did have some big accomplishments at that race (mile 6, for example)!

    ReplyDelete