Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tapering

It's taper week, and I'm getting ready for my very first triathlon of the season. It's been almost 7 months since I've done the trio back-to-back, and today for the first time, I'm getting nervous.

I'm scared because...

* The swim is in the ocean, and I just read a crazy thread on the Slowtwitch forum that now has me scared of being attacked by a shark (or a mountain lion, or a yeti, for that matter).

* I haven't worn a wetsuit since last May. Not sure I'll remember how to get it off.

* Last time I tried to pump up my race wheels by myself, I ended up $150 poorer because the pump got stuck on the valve (bad experience to have 2 days before an IM).

* The weather forecast looks great-- partly cloudy, high of 83 on Saturday. But it always looks better than it is. They forecast for 83 degrees, then it's 101 in the park.

* We run through St. Andrew's Park.

* The wind can be pretty strong.

* Every muscle in my body will be sore the next day.

I'm excited because...

* The swim is in the ocean, and in contrast to the lakes around here, you can actually see your hand in front of your face while swimming.

* I get to wear a wetsuit. ...unless some weather phenomenon occurs in the next 4 days and raises the ocean temps by 7 degrees.

* I'll be at the beach!

* You could say that I'm familiar with the course. I've done the run loop 14 times. Yes, literally.

* We get to run through St. Andrew's Park. It looks like a beautiful beach from the pictures I've seen. Of course, you don't see the actual beach while on the run course. The photo is from a rare moment when I'm actually smiling in the park. See, it can be fun!

* Since there is guaranteed to be a good wind, at some point during the bike ride we will have a tailwind. Maybe it'll even cool us down during the run. Ha.

* Did I mention I'll be at the beach? There will be plenty of time for some R&R on Saturday after the race and all day Sunday.

The actual race seems like such a small part of the weekend, but without it, it just wouldn't be the same. Two days and counting until I'm on my way.



3 comments:

  1. Well at least this time if I see you on the run neither of us will have a beer in our hand. :-)

    I will see you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your race, I look forward to reading your report!

    Thanks for the ST link on sharks (sarcasm!), I was dumb enough to read it AND view the video links. At least I'm doing all my swimming in a lake or pool for the next month so hopefully I forget the details.

    I'm sure you'll have a great race! And there will be no sharks.

    ReplyDelete