Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Last week's training consisted of the following:

--Tuesday: rode mountain bike to and from work; total of 10 miles

--Wednesday: climbed four flights of stairs, very big flights

--Friday: swam 2200 yds, with lots of breaks; totalled 1 hour

--Saturday: rode bike for 45 minutes to Overton Park and back; totalling about 13 miles.

I'm excited to be doing some running and swimming and cycling this week. I've already noticed a huge increase in my hunger from 2 hours of training in 2 days. Yay! I love to eat! To accompany my appetite, I have very sore hamstrings that apparently very quickly adapted to the sedentary lifestyle.

Surprisingly, I kept my butt from expanding beyond my pants' circumference; so Damie, I'll be keeping those smaller tri shorts after all. The weight stayed with a pound or so of normal (this-time-of-year-normal (a.k.a. early-summer-sprint-season-normal), which is vastly different from post-Ironman-normal, which is still different from I've-gained-all-that-weight-back-since-IM-and-now-I'm-in-hibernation-mode-until-spring-normal).

I feel like I've really accomplished something, staying sane and taking a whole week off. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I kind of enjoyed it, actually. It's funny that at work I spend lots of time convincing people to stop sitting on their couches and do more exercise, but in my own life I have to psyche myself up for taking time off. Maybe this recovery thing should become a regular event for me so that I better understand where my clients are coming from. It's all about empathy.

2 comments:

  1. I never for one moment thought your butt wouldn't fit in those shorts- ha! You were needlessly worrying. :) BTW, my sister told me my Turpin butt is starting to come back. Shoot! I have to get running again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first week is always the hardest. by week two, though, you are an official couch potato.

    ReplyDelete