Thursday, August 7, 2008

Not good enough, huh?

I love my car. I've had it now for 9 1/2 years, and it's treated me very well. But I can't figure out what about it screams, "Break into me! I have loads of valuables inside!" From afar, my little white Explorer seems a bit plain. No flashy rims, neon lights shining out from underneath, no fancy gold-chain-rimmed license plate, nothing. Getting a little closer, you'll see the headlights are held in place by little strips of clear packing tape. There are a few dings here and there, and the rear windshield wiper is all wacky and bent; it's never worked.
But peering through the untinted windows, you will see many items of value: an array of workout clothing and accessories, and even a couple of trophies. People, that's not real gold on the trophies, even though it shines. Not worth stealing. Two or three swimsuits hang from the hook over the back seat (size 30, if you're interested), the swim bag is on the back floorboard (yes, this is valuable, unless you don't swim laps, then you'll just look goofy), and there is a spare pair of running shoes, nice and dirty. If you're so desperate that you need my stinky trail shoes, have at 'em.

In the far back is a crate containing some spare bike tubes, a couple of water bottles, and an old sheet for bike padding. Now those things are of real value. If you know what to do with the spare tubes, you just might need a couple, given the large amounts of glass on the streets of Memphis. If it's the plastic water bottles you want, please keep in mind that they are trying to link increased cancer risk to the use of those things. But I know, they're so expensive! I only get one for each $150 race I sign up for. So go ahead, take those, I've got plenty. You might even get a little leftover gatorade in there if you're lucky.

Maybe it was something up front that caught your eye yesterday. I do have a nice pair of pliers next to my lipgloss in the cup holder. Or was it the pedometer that was the lure? People need to know how many steps it takes them to get from Mrs Winners to the Mapco, don't they? I can't blame you; I'd like to know, too. I figured out what you were really going for yesterday. It was the recyclables! I have quite a treasure of aluminum cans that you can get, what, 5 cents each for?

But none of the contents of my car was quite what you wanted, was it? Nope, once you busted the lock, opened the door, adjusted my seat, and took a look around, my personal possessions were just not quite worthy of your high standards. Ok, I understand. But I just have one request for you: next time, can you at least move the seat back to where you found it? Yeah, thanks.


Violation.

7 comments:

  1. look on the bright side...at least there wasn't a bike in there! now if you got another bike stolen before doing an ironman, i'm sure the manufacturer would assume you're running a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what to say. I really hope I didn't jinx you, because last night I was telling stories about how many times your car has been broken into. It's unreal. Oh, and you forgot to mention that you have the pliers in your car in order to turn on your headlights, since the knob is broken. I witnessed that last week. Poor Joy. But you hang in there! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and, that sometimes the tape does not hold the lights in place, and that the gas light does not work completely, and that....ughhh. I still blame the security officer. I swear someone knows his schedule. I actually thought of a brilliant idea for an alarm- and I am being serious. I'll tell you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Joy! I talked to you right after your discovery of pictured broken key lock. How frustrating!!! I still think you need employee gated parking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, yes, I have no knob for the headlights, and sometimes the headlight tape comes off when I'm driving down the road and the whole thing comes swinging out to the side, like a dog's tongue when he's sticking his head out the window... so why me?? I dreamed the other night that my car was stolen. I don't think there's a whole lot of interpretation needed for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, its not funny Joy, but your words are just too much for keeping a straight face. I'm sorry! Hmmmm..and then there is the parking ticket dilemma. What is a girl to do??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Does your car keep getting broken into at the same place? Are they even trying to steal the vehicle or just looking for what's inside? Glad your bike and bike gear wasn't in there! I guess by now you know better. Maybe you should just keep your doors unlocked :-)

    ReplyDelete