Monday, September 29, 2008

Cookie Stop

The whole reason I wanted to do the Big Dam Bridge century again this year was for the cookie stop. Ok, maybe not the whole reason, but it definitely played a major role in my decision. I also got to see this little one and his sister. She doesn't dress him like a girl anymore.


The cookie stop is something I've looked forward to for the last year. It's a sugar-lover's dream come true. And what better time to gorge yourself on homemade cookies than during a 100 mile ride? Zero guilt is involved. So the century began with Damie and me finding ourselves in a kind of scary, jumpy group. Of course, any group of a few hundred recreational cyclists can be scary when everyone is jockeying for position. About 3 miles in, I managed to ride over someone's helmet number sticker, which immediately melted into my rear tire. It wasn't just the tick-tick-tick of the sticker hitting my brakes every revolution that became my 35 mile lesson in patience, it was the comments of those around me who seemed to be bothered much more by it than I was. Apparently I used sarcasm on one of the rare individuals who are unable to detect it. He pulled up beside me and told me with grave concern that there was something stuck to my wheel. My shocked "seriously? what? where? i don't hear it!" was lost on him. I had several offers from my comrades to stick various body parts in my wheel to try to pry it off. If it bugs you so much that you want to lose a finger, go for it, but I'm not letting you, Mr. Recumbant, stick that foot that you've unclipped anywhere near my spokes.

Mr and Ms Jelly Belly Tandem apparently are like me in that they name those they ride with. "Oh here comes Flapper again," they commented as I rode up. Is this common, or are the JBTs and I the only ones who do it? I've always had names for those I'm riding with in groups; that is, if I don't know their real names. Blue Man and I (a.k.a. Calves) rode the last 30-35 miles together, each pulling a mile or so at a time, depending on the wind and hills. He even waited for me at the cookie stop.

So about that cookie stop. Some poor soul, who was surely just misinformed, directed those riding the 100 miles around the 25 mile cookie stop. I realized what was going on about 50 yards past the turn off. Just like last weekend when the downpour caused my mood to plummet like a lead balloon, the circumnavigation of the cookie stop caused curse words to fly, aimed at that clueless volunteer who nearly ruined my day. Luckily, the weather was great, I had some food aboard my bike, and I calmed down after doing a quick sprint to rid myself of some energy. It made me all the more joyous when I finally got to same cookie stop at 75 miles. Of course only the cookie rejects were left for us at this point, but in those I found at least a dozen that I loaded into my extra ziplock baggie to scarf down when I got back to my car. There was no energy for cookie munching during the remainder of the ride. I could only hang on to Blue Man for dear life in between the intervals during which I was expected to pull. All in all, a very fun ride. I even managed a little run following, after standing around chatting half an hour or so and letting my legs stiffen for good measure.

Sunday was a beautiful day for a duathlon. My team's annual race took place out in the hills of Lakeland. I did not participate, but instead practiced standing on my feet in one spot for a few hours. This will come in handy someday, I'm sure of it. It's amusing to be on the other side of a race. I know my brain gets a little foggy an hour into a barely sub-threshold effort. Apparently I'm not the only one, since the simple instructions of "run to the left of the cone" was incomprehensible to half of the field.

It was an impressive field, with Sam and two others running a 5:30 pace for the first 2-mile leg! Good job Sam, you were flying! Kirsten, from mid-Tennessee, outsplit all but one individual man and one relay man in the bike leg. She came in second overall. That's overall, not female overall. I'm stealing her legs for Ironman Florida.

The rest of my afternoon consisted of vacuuming the herds of ants from my kitchen (I cannot find where they're coming from or what they're eating!) and doing a short and easy run and bike ride. I took this somewhat crooked picture during my ride. What a beautiful day!

12 comments:

  1. Love your new blog look....so cute! Yeah, i would have to have a good reason(like cookies) to do a century ride too! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear ya on the cookie stop! love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new background Joy! And the sarcasm bit, SOOOO funny!!! Do you only give names to people you don't know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you could have joined us for Mex! Wish I was up to riding with you Sat, for the 5 miles I could've hung on to your wheel! I'm on my Blackberry and can't wait to go home and see your new background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new blog look, Joy. Ok...that is what you and Damie were doing this past weekend - riding for cookies, eh? HA! That made me laugh out loud. Hope you are feeling great as you prep for FL!!! :) wooooo Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you weren't around when I panicked and shouted....hey, did I miss the cookie stop? I could tell the boys around me thought I was the biggest pig in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks! you guys did an awesome job with that race.!!! I always look forward to it every year. Kristen is always amazing on the bike. When you're done with her legs, can I borrow them too? haha.

    The Big Dam 100 sounded fun. I name people names like that too so you and the JBTs aren't the only ones.

    happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, you'd think from these comments that this blog is about...racing!! No one has mentioned the cutest baby BOY in the world at the top of the page. Where did you get him? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would appreciate it is you would not post pictures of my son in a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, didn't know you two parents still read this. oops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never said what kind of cookies they were...jeez..

    ReplyDelete