Sunday, September 7, 2008

Unscathed

The weekend's events are over and I'm still in one piece, and feeling good, no less. There were no sidewall blow outs during Saturday's ride, a la Clay's last week (the dollar bill did not do the job, in case you were wondering):
There was no meltdown during Sunday's run, no repeat of last Sunday's long run.

Nancy and I got to spend 8 hours together over the two days, isn't she lucky? Not only one of the best training partners ever (she's always up for anything), she is also one of the least annoying people I've ever met! :)

Saturday included an organized century ride out in Collierville. It was a great group; we had Gary, who'd ridden out from his house (he got in 140 miles total), Jarred, who was going incredibly fast given his shoes of choice (Crocs), Brian, who was doing his last century of the season (I'd accompanied him on his first two of the season as well), Tommy, Suzy, Tom, Cheryl, and several RBs riders who are always fun to ride with. Of course we missed Damie, who was in the middle of an incredible 1/2 IM PR. This course turned out to be pretty hilly:



That training should come in handy for Louisville next year, but maybe not so much IMFL:



Ok, from the looks of it, IMFL is hilly. If you look closely, yeah, that's a maximum 161ft in elevation. Not hilly. But if you've ever done the course, you know that FLAT=WINDY more often than not.

I learned this weekend that 1) my "good" bike shorts' chamois can morph into spiky sandpaper around 95 miles; 2) I tend to get cranky when I've been exercising over 6.5 hours straight. The innocent people on that boardwalk who were getting in my way and letting their little dogs trip me had no idea that my legs were on autopilot and my ability to make quick turns and sidesteps was nonexistent; 3) I can actually do a recovery ride and not let random cyclist women inspire competition and make me chase them down on Watkins; and 4) Chocolate Chip Pecan cookies make an excellent post-workout recovery snack. But just in case I've got back ups: mini sandwich graham crackers and Nutter Butters, all within reach from my couch. A little extra weight won't hurt on Florida's flat course. :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed out this weekend. However, I believe I am not as non-annoying as Nancy- so it may be good that I leave for a trip or two during training. Aren't we lucky to have her? Okay...six hard weeks of training left to go. Let it rip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Nancy if you are reading this...happy birthday Monday. :) xxxoooxxxxoooo You young, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that tire is hilarious! Once that happened to me and we used a gel packet (after I ate it of course)... that worked wonders!

    LOVE the weekend-learning-list... I will remember to hide from you after 6.5 hours and feed you cookies to stay on your good side!

    Happy training... November is coming! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats my girl!!! Tough as nails! I love nutter butters! ; )

    ReplyDelete