Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moving on up

The hardest decision of the day comes at 5:30 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. At this point, I'm still groggy, standing at the edge of the pool, eyes half closed, analyzing the lane dynamics of the master's swim class. It used to be a no-brainer which lane to jump into. But lately lane speeds have been changing. I am in the middle lane, in terms of pool geometry and speed. Today after my swim, Rob suggested I move up a lane. This seems like a simple hop over (or rather, dive under) the lane rope, I know. But it's not that simple. First of all, for some inexplicable reason, the lane immediately next to mine is the fastest lane, and the lane two over is one speed up. This makes it a huge jump, and I'm not talking about the physical distance. Once you get over there, there is no turning back. You can't just duck under the rope again to rejoin your comfortable lane. Mostly because you'd probably get your head knocked off by the paddles flying in the fast lane.

I've gone with the safe, comfortable, familiar lane every time. But with Rob's urging, I may take that scary step over to the lane of rules, strict intervals, and people whose names I don't know. He swears that I swim just as fast on my "good days" as they do (but how few and far between are those?). You have to take risks to see rewards, they say. I'll be keeping my eye on that lane, but I may be keeping my body in the good ole middle lane.

7 comments:

  1. what ever happened to everyone being polite and cheering each other on? does that not happen in swim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when you cheer people on you get a mouth full of water....

    I spent a lot of time going back and forth there. I'd do the technique days in the middle lane and the push days in the faster lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't a leap- you are just as faster if not faster than that lane. Too bad the design of the lanes...ahem...seems to make it feel harder than it is. You just move on over, girl. But shoot...what am I going to do without you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo, do it. Make the jump Joy! You got it!! Second fastest lane all the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Job Joy!!!! Just be confident in yourself. I'm sure if the coach has been seeing that you are just as fast....then you belong in that lane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am humbled by your swim-ness

    N-

    ReplyDelete