Friday, February 6, 2009

Mom!

Mom turns... a year older today! Did I scare you, Mom? I already know that she's going to hate this picture that I'm putting up of her, because she hates every picture of herself. But her eyes are open here, and I think it's really good. So up it goes! I will not torture her with embarrassing tales, as tempting as it is. You're welcome, Mom.

Mom is one of those people who is always busy. She is often in Little Rock babysitting Emily and Jackson, who love their Nana. They come visit her as much as they can, too. She's a fun Nana who takes them horseback riding, waterskiing, and out to the cabin to hike in the woods. She has two horses that she rides often, even mixing up feed and medicine for Mystic weekly. Mystic thinks she is Mom's baby and will whinny and come running when Mom calls her in from the pasture. I think she'd get right in the car and go home with her if she could. Out at the cabin, she has an incredible garden (every summer) of tomatoes, peppers, okra, squash, and eggplant. At home, she has the most beautiful yard in town, seen here in the spring:

Mom's an artist, which not many people know. She can draw, paint, and even sculpt, and her artwork is unbelievable. She doesn't even realize how much talent she has, because she thinks that with some practice, I could do it to. I wish I had a picture of that to post!

She waterskies like a pro, only getting her hair wet when her incompetent daughter messes up driving the boat and yanks her off the bank too hard. Then she drives us all around the lake, with patience, until we've had enough sun and we're starving for some of the sandwiches she's brought down for us.

She cooks supper every night, and it's good. I mean, really good. I didn't fully appreciate how good her cooking is until I moved out and tasted others' cooking. I realized how lucky I had it growing up with an abundance of fresh vegetables and cornbread every night.

I see some of her traits and expressions coming out in me as I get older. I'm happy about that! She's such a sweet, loving mom, and Jenny, Megan, and I couldn't be luckier. Happy Birthday Mom! Love you!

p.s. Sorry I posted this a few days late!


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden! I agree with Damie, a very sweet post and a nice glimpse of your Mom.

    Happy Birthday Momma Johnson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What more could I say? I totally agree. :) I think it's so important to remind ourselves of the particular things we appreciate about the people we love. Thanks, Joy, for reminding me of those things. That's one of the particular things I appreciate about you! Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Your mom sounds awesome!!! I am very close to my mom as well. Aren't they the best!

    Happy Birthday Joy's Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete