Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Breakdown Lane

I'm loving this swimming thing. I think it's an addiction to chlorine first thing in the morning. Except we have a saline pool... hmmm.

Tuesday morning I got in my new lane again, but with 4 others instead of 1 or 2. This is the no rest, no talking, no smiling part of the pool, apparently. Or if anyone does smile, it's before I finish the interval, so I miss it. I think MC cracked a few jokes, but the heavy breathing going on made it hard to hear. My heavy breathing.

Thrashing arms, inhaling water, coughing, sputtering, smacking lane ropes.. and that was just me. I somehow elbowed MC in the leg. Dropping my elbows perhaps? But I really am getting into this swimming thing, and trying hard when swimming is even better.
I swam my fastest 200 yards ever last week. For you fast people, it seems pathetic, but I have gotten nowhere near 2:42 in my life before. Maybe for a 100.

So while swimming has been boosting my confidence, the track workout this week did not. Keeping your heart rate in zone 3 for 800s isn't fun when you realize that your pace is 3:25 per 800. If it's really true, like Liz said, that I should be able to run my half marathon in a week and a half in zone 3, then I'm set.

I have a new sport that I'm adding to the list, at least until May 2. I've commited to be part of the Outdoors Canoe and Kayak race this year, partnered up with the big boss (not God, the big boss at work). He thinks that "whatever" I'm already doing in training will be enough to get me through this thing. Oh yeah, and win. I think it's paddling practice time. I guess Charlie and Olaf will appreciate my paddling abilities come adventure race day as well. Um, anyone got a canoe?


5 comments:

  1. Fantastic, but it doesn't sound like you broke down.

    We'll practice paddling in the boat on race day. Do you have a paddle?

    BTW - you may still be getting your chlorine fix. Salt is sodium chloride after all, and saline pools are sterilized by hydrolysis of chloride ion into aqueous chlorine (2Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e-). Chlorine probably has a short half life in solution since it oxidizes everything in site. The chloramines and other typical disinfection byproducts are not formed. These are the things that you're typically irritated by and can smell so we don't think of it as chlorinated. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joy! I just got smarter reading your comments section...

    I think working your swim muscles as much as you have will translate very nicely into paddling muscles. Good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a man with a brain...

    And a woman with strong swim (aka paddle) arms.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes...the big boss vs. the Big Boss. There IS a distinction, even at the CHC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job on tha 200! Keep it up girl!!!

    ReplyDelete