Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

It's Dad's turn! He's just 6 weeks younger than Mom, and in my opinion has the best birthday. What could be better than having your birthday on the first day of spring?

So one of the many ways Dad is a great dad is his patience with being around girls all the time. He not only had 3 daughters, but when we started acquiring animals, we got all girls-- cat, dog, horses. When we finally found a boy kitten, those two buddied up really fast.

He's surrounded.

The first grandchild to come along was, of course, a girl. But shortly thereafter, Jenny managed to have a boy, who loves his Granddaddy, and wants to do everything he does.



From the time she could talk, one of Emily's favorite things to do was go on an "A-wide" behind Granddaddy's tractor. Here's a picture that Emily took from the hay:


Dad is a man of many talents. Not only is he the best plastic surgeon ever (have you noticed the scar on my head from the time I hit a tree? I didn't think so..), he's also the best steak griller, bush hogger, chili cooker, anything fixer, and ice cream maker ever.
Dad always has a good joke to tell, and from years of working summers at his office, I know that he's known as the practical jokester. He's also a hard worker; he has won numerous awards in plastic surgery and been president of his professional society. He has used his talents doing mission work in countries such as Palau and the Philippines, repairing cleft palates and other surgeries that would otherwise go undone.

I get a lot of traits from Dad. My non-brown eyes (his are green, mine are blue), my fast walking, my fair skin, and the shape of my fingernails (I know it's a weird thing to notice, but they're identical!) are all from Dad. I think I also get my competitiveness and intolerance of really stupid people from him, haha!

Growing up, Dad was my alarm clock, breakfast fixer, and ride to school when I missed the bus. He made my lunches for me every day, and I always loved the smiley faces or notes he would put inside. Just recently I found a smiley face I'd cut from a note years ago and stashed away. Those really made my day!

Dad always makes sure his daughters are taken care of, and if advice is ever needed, he's always there to give solid, practical guidance. He's shaped my life in so many ways, and I'm so lucky to be his daughter! Happy Birthday Dad, I love you!

3 comments:

  1. I honestly didn't know that about your fingernails. Hmm...I think I'm just not quite as observant as, well, the average dog. I'll have to look next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Your Dad sounds really awesome! Are'nt they the best! My Dad is great! He is always there for me no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it so well, Joy! I love you, too, Dad!

    ReplyDelete