Friday, May 15, 2009

Well Rested

I'm going into this weekend of races with very well rested legs. I've taken more rest days this week than I did in the last month, I think. Monday night I went to the pool and felt a scratch in my throat. I attributed it to the pool chemicals being out of whack; since the water was murky, it seemed a probable cause. The scratch was there all night and the next morning, when I bailed out on my ride. Since that swim, the only exercise I have gotten is in my intercostals and abdominals, which get quite a workout during those intense coughing attacks. I'm even feeling a little soreness.

An article in the NY Times tells me that it's ok to exercise with a head cold, and my performance won't even be impaired. The only problem is that this isn't just "exercising," it's pushing myself to 90% for 75 minutes on Saturday and 135+ minutes on Sunday. Oh, and apparently the rules are different if you have chest congestion. So I'm going to do my own little experiement, n=1, and see if 4 days of no exercise + a hacking cough has an effect on my racing and perceived symptoms. Sounds fun, huh? I plan to enjoy myself out there. Just maybe for a little longer than usual.

So what country are we saluting this year anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Chile - which makes GREAT wine for your after-race recovery! ;)

    Good luck - you're gonna do great!

    ReplyDelete