Thursday, August 27, 2009

Race Week Thoughts

It is really possible that I've eaten 3/4 of a jar of apricot preserves in 2 sittings without putting even one spoonful anywhere but directly into my mouth?

Have I gained weight?

I cannot recall one detail of any long rides or runs I did. Did I actually do any?

Don't forget to Vaseline the shorts' seams. I love love love the Desoto tri shorts, but the seams can make me cry.

It's too late to cram any more mileage in, but can I cram vitamins?

I think my lymph node is swollen. Surely cancer.

If one more person at work comes into my office telling me that they're sick, I'm quitting.

Going up the stairs makes me feel like a 90-year-old obese woman (not that many actually exist, but I know how they'd feel if they did).

Does putting my spare and changing tools in a water bottle in my extra cage save any weight over the 8 pounds of electrical tape I normally use to attach that stuff to my seat?

All those hours of drills better do me some good Sunday!

If my race tire goes from 130psi to 40psi overnight just sitting there, how much will the weight of my body make it decrease in pressure during the 5.5+ hours I'm on it during the race?

Last Ironman had temps of 46F low/ 73F high. Forecast for Sunday: 50F low/ 76F high. Perfect. Now what did I wear on the bike? Thanks to asiorders.com, I can find out.

Where in downtown Louisville can I pick up some Uncrustables? The race food of champions!

Do I wear socks on the bike for these things?

I love graphs telling me that I am going to suck in the swim because there's an upstream section and I'm a bad swimmer. :)

I have to stop telling random people how undertrained I am. They maaaay not understand. A sweet acquaintance asked me what I'm doing this weekend. "An Ironman," I said with a slightly scared look on my face. "But you jog a lot. You'll do fine," she answered.

4 comments:

  1. Since it's race week, I'll answer these directly:

    1) Yes - it's training for what you'll be doing while bouncing down the road on the bike or on foot. Few athletes know that you can absorb most of your calories from your chin.

    2) I know better than to answer that sort of thing.

    3) I don't remember them. Was I invited?

    4) Indeed. Vaseline rather than Assos cream? It's so fresh feeling...

    5) There's always room for vitamins and pasta.

    6) No, it's not cancer! It's the mumps.

    7) I think you should put a sign on your door saying "quaranteen area"

    8) Wait until after the race...

    9) No, but it looks cooler.

    10) What do power tools have to do with your race?

    11) 130 psi? I wouldn't go a hair over 128, myself. Also, do yours really go that flat? The sheer speed with which you'll cover the course will heat up the tires, increasing the pressure so I wouldn't worry much here.

    12) You can also find out which race face to use from asiorders.

    13) That's your ironsherpa's job, right?

    14) No. Unless you have pink ones.

    15) I made that graph - you're on the left side, so no worries!

    16) Follow the untrained complaint with "I really would have rather lost another 5 lbs before this race. Pass the salad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charlie! You've cleared so much up for me. Now answer me this: why is it that in the few days leading up to big races I do incredibly dumb things like have treadmill accidents and bust my ass at work? Nope, those bandages aren't from a bike accident. It was a treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember when we forgot to put the uncrustables in the freezer? i refused to eat one thinking something would be wrong with it. did you eat yours?
    xxxxooooooo thinking of you best of luck!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to comment on this, but Charlie did it for me. So I guess the only thing left to say is GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete