Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ironman Louisville

Pictures are a lot more entertaining than words, right? So here's my race in pictures. With a bit of commentary.

Pre race checkin. Everybody's happy. Beautiful day.


Race morning. In case you can't see it, the clock says 4:40 or something. That's eastern time.

I'm smiling from the success I had with the bike pump and lack of the usual hair-pulling frustration that is my race tire.
Gary's giving the wide, open-mouthed Joy smile.


Nancy got stuck in an eternal porta potty line. Really, she spent like 40 minutes there.

I refused to run before I crossed the start line. I'll have plenty of running later, were my thoughts. That's me on the far right, taking my sweet time.
The jump. I really got some air, huh? I'm holding my goggles on just in case.


The "upstream" portion around Towhead Island. Unfortunately for us (or rather, me, the poor swimmer), the 2/3 of the swim that was "downstream" was currentless.
But I made it out of the river alive!

To my great horror, the spot I chose in T1 to change (the same one Nancy chose 5 minutes before me), was completely within view for any spectators who dared come around. Jeremy was just seconds too late to capture my bare bum.

I'm too speedy on the bike to be captured clearly on film!

The entire bike ride can be summed up with this fantastic TB poster.

I did actually manage to run, if you can call it that. I seem to have both feet on the ground.

At least you can see Nancy's heel kicking up. The drills worked for her!

Post race, obviously. I finished right behind Gary, but managed to beat him by about 20 seconds. Love the time trial start!
All in all, I feel it was a successful day in that I was able to run a decent marathon after the torture of the bike ride and deflation of the terrible swim. I haven't attempted any workouts since, unless you count the one flight of stair climbing to my apartment with 3 bags of groceries. It's almost time to get back at it; as Jonathan mentioned, five weeks from today is the underpants run.

7 comments:

  1. I had been waiting for the race report, love the pics, they do say it all. Makes me wonder who else got a pic of us in the change tent :O
    Thanks for being my IM partner, again! It's always a pleasure :)
    I can't wait to see the pics from the underpants run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea 20 seconds but I get 1 second for each year hmm I'm 22 years older so hey that means I beat you by 2 seconds.

    Okay work on that swim for kona, your runs fine you just did a 3:50 long run so no problem and do some long hill work on the bike wearing lots of clothes to heat acclimate since fall seems to have come early.
    Watkins is great to go back and forth on to train for hawaii.

    and Kick some but at kona...

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been stalking your blog waiting for a race report! Love all the pictures. Looks like IronSherpa Jeremy did a GREAT job!!!! Well, and you too, of course, but we expected that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Way to go, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome job! love the pictures - it looks like you had a fun and effortless race! ALMOST enough to make me want to do one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos and report. Great race! Now there is just that little race in Kona!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy! Congratulations...I've been waiting to read this too. I've been away from a computer since Friday.

    Great report, but now you have me scared for next year!

    I'll be watching Kona...you go girl! :o)

    ReplyDelete