Thursday, June 24, 2010

i'm just big boned!

Last week I went to my Little Rock hairstylist who used to be a personal trainer. This guy is in great shape and does some running and mountain biking along with weight training. We always talk about what we're doing in our workouts, what I'm training for, etc. When I told him I wasn't training for long distance, he said, "yeah, you're not looking as lean as usual." Now I know this is true; this year, since I'm not doing an Ironman, I haven't lost my usual 2-3 pounds from long training. Which is not a problem for me or my pants' buttons. But it can be hard to hear from outside my own head. I happened to be wearing shorts, and when I stood up to leave, he was amazed at the size of my quads and asked, "you're really not lifting weights?" This made me feel better. I think.

Then this past weekend, while visiting my aunt, we went to visit one of her friends who has known me for over 25 years. She is from another culture and generation (she's 92), and gave me what she thought was a great compliment. She said, "You're getting fat! You're looking like a woman finally!" 

It's officially diet time. :)

5 comments:

  1. joy johnson fat...now that's a funny thought. never in a million years would i put joy johnson and fat in the same sentence! just doesn't fit. you're the intimidating super fast and strong girl who has all the muscles that the rest of us only dream of having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa...Maggie said you're fat?!!! That's the ultimate compliment from her! You didn't tell me THAT. Now you know you're in trouble, like Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan! I'm going to call you before every race for a pep talk from now on, if you don't mind. :)

    Jenny, actually Maggie said, "You're getting fat just like your mama!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the other day Jerry and I were talking legs when he said you had some of the best legs he's ever seen.

    ReplyDelete