Saturday, June 12, 2010

Where everybody knows your name

It's just like that Cheers theme song. You walk into the bar, Craig has your beer ready for you before you even reach the counter, and you immediately recognize a dozen more faces. Or you pull up to the morning group ride of 50, and know at least half of them well, another dozen are familiar. You go in the running shoe store and Feb already knows what you're buying and has it out before you've finished chatting with one of the old school runners who you've known since you worked there 14 years ago. At track you seed yourself on the first 800 behind Frances, who will run these repeats approximately 6 seconds faster than you will. On the nights of the old Tuesday ride, you'd know exactly where people would start dropping, and where you'd catch up to the guy who always puked. Spotting a runner on the street, you could recognize the gait and know who it was from a half mile away. If a cyclist, you'd know their bike. 

I had a bout of homesickness this week. I think I even miss North, North, North, North Memphis, the best way to good riding from my old place.

But a change of scenery is coming soon. New Mexico in less than a month!

2 comments:

  1. I am hearing you. Don't you worry because in two weeks I am coming to keep you company. ;))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooh, me too, me too!! And you'll show us all your new, about-to-be-old places. :) And maybe we'll have something else to celebrate!! I'll call you soon!

    ReplyDelete