Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Heatwave Triathlon

I had prepared well and gone through the whole race in my head over and over again. I had the plan memorized -- each step and how it should be perfectly executed. In the final 10 minutes before it was to begin, it consumed my thoughts. Finally it was go time. My feet were already riding on top of my shoes, which were still clipped into the bike. As I flew toward the dismount line, my right leg swung over the saddle, paused behind my left pedal, and touched down running just as my bike slowed to the ideal run speed for the race, T2. I got lucky in the rack placement this year; mine was second in from the dismount line. I was too late to get spot #1, but instead took #4 from the aisle, near side. Spotting my bright pink transition bag, I kept running, the man in front of me getting out of my way just in time to avoid being trampled. In four easy steps I'd be out of transition, and hopefully victorious. In slow motion I racked the bike, put on my flats, took off my helmet, grabbed my race belt and visor, and was running out the far end of transition. My friend Jon was leaving at the same time, and I passed him just as I reached the finish line, where I could slow for the 10k. 

Afterwards, we cheered for award winners, ate some lunch, and waited for results. I wouldn't see that I had taken FIRST OVERALL until I was home at the computer. For some reason, they didn't put transition splits on the posted paper results at the race site. But then I found it. Six seconds. That was my time. No one, male or female, age group or pro, had beaten my T2 time. Green box for me!

It sunk in later that six seconds might be a little quick for a transition, even with my speed and efficiency. After a reenactment in the living room with Laura's verbal timing, we realized that the actual times may be off. But they seemed to be off for everyone, with a couple of men coming in at 8 seconds. And there was the one strange absence of a time for one guy's result. So after some consideration, we made the decision that I was still the winner. Goal accomplished!
Oh, so the other two hours, eight minutes, and twenty-two seconds? It was alright. Except for the swim, which was horrendous. And the run: still not my running legs out there. The bike was okay; maybe I should've pushed harder.

I have many more thoughts about the swim; they're gathering themselves into coherence right now.

But for now, here's a picture of most of the Locos who came down. Notice my cute little tiny plate amongst the huge bowls? I only got it because my AG winner was penalized for drafting. It was a nice surprise though!



Post race with most of the team and the team-in-law (husband + sponsor).

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your life happenings lately! I heard you were going west. Where? I am so jealous! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the team pic at the bottom in the new gear looks great!!!!!!! good job green boxer....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm refusing to remember the swim!

    I love your plate! It's shaped like a fish, for sushi. That you now know you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just HAD to get a picture of my gut, didnt you...

    ReplyDelete