Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Race Season is Here

We have another race this weekend. This time it's a duathlon, or DUALathon, as my coworker likes to call it. I keep picturing sword fighting for some reason. I have done maybe 3 duathlons in my life, and as I recall, they are particularly painful. I should be getting used to the run-then-bike thing, but another run afterward?? This should be my forte, since I'll never be a great swimmer (I am in my acceptance phase). 

The taper came at a good time, since Jeremy is working 12 hour shifts (suckas!), due to this exercise the base is doing. Side note: hopefully this is not TMI to give out... I got a kick out of hearing, "Exercise, exercise, exercise" over the intercom the first time. Being in health promotion, my first thought was that everyone was catching on. Yes, I'm that slow sometimes. 

We aren't able to go anywhere fun (outside of the so so fun city) when J is on call, so we rode in the flat basin this weekend. I actually enjoyed it despite the wind and the boringness of the view. (It looks even more boring due to my new camera app)


I had a brief meltdown about 30 minutes from home, and I don't even remember why. But then on Monday, J was off work, so he had our bikes loaded and ready when I got home from work. We drove up the mountain and rode one of my favorite rides. It was cold enough that we started with arm warmers and my hands were frozen at the end. What a difference from the basin! We cut it about 4 miles (and 800ft of climbing!) short, since we didn't want to run out of daylight. And I realized that THIS is what I want to do. I want to ride in scenic places, up mountains, down mountains, in the trees, looking for bears. 

If that works with triathlon training, I'm good.

No comments:

Post a Comment