Sunday, May 8, 2011

No more trail running

We are having quite the opposite problem of y'all in the southeast. The extreme drought conditions on top of the always windy springtime has made forest fires a big issue. On our way back from Tucson last week, we could see the fire on the Organ Mountains, just across the basin from us. Here you can even see some flames if you look closely.



This has closed a few hiking areas that Jeremy and I have either been on or scoped out, including Baylor Pass, which goes across one of the lower points. The reports say the missile range, which is on this side of the mountains, is to blame. The last report yesterday said while it's still burning, it is 100% contained.

Wednesday of next week will be the last day the Lincoln National Forest, MY forest, is open until sufficient rain has fallen to decrease the fire danger. I think they could just threaten punishment by death to anyone using fire or smoking in the area. I'm really sad about this, since what will be closed are ALL the trails and forest roads through the park. We can still ride on the highways, but no more trails. Monsoon season should start in a couple of months, but how much rain will make up for such a lack of it this winter and spring?

After hearing the news of the closing on Friday, I made Jeremy take me up on the mountain not once, but twice this weekend. Saturday we rode a longer loop with smaller hill grades. We were excited about the easy climbing until the headwinds hit. Uff. Then today we went to two different trails. The first neither of us had been on-- the Osha Trail. It was a short loop, but had a couple of trails diverging from it that we had to check out. The running was slow, even on the downhills, due to the rockiness. I slowly developed my mountain goat skills as we ran. And now I'm sure my stabilizer muscles will be hurting tomorrow. Nice views.

Next we went to Cougar Track trail (so named by yours truly) so I could show Jeremy Bridal Veil Falls, which, even in this drought, is still flowing. It was cool and clear, and I just wanted to get in it.



We found no tracks, and I tried not to obsessively look for them.



It was amazing the contrast in the trails. Up at the top, you're in a forest of firs. Go down a few thousand feet and you find red desert dirt trails that run along a flowing creek.

So that was our last weekend in the forest for a while. No more of this:

Or this...


...until somebody can send us some of that extra water from the Mississippi. We'll gladly take it.





1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I hope we can get on trails by late June when I'm there!

    ReplyDelete