Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Heading north for IM

We picked the perfect time of the summer to head to cooler weather. It's starting to get hot here in the desert with only one day out of the 10 forecasted to be under 100F. I looked at my weather app the other day and said to myself, oh good, Saturday will be nice -- only 97 degrees. We are thankful to be in the high desert with a little altitude to keep us cooler than, say, Phoenix.

Last year we took off for a trip to California around this time, and Thursday we leave for Coeur d'Alene. When it was 103 here yesterday afternoon, it was 55 there. I've started digging up warm fuzzy baby clothes that Hunter has never worn. Since he's been alive I think it has been under 50 degrees for about 15 minutes. He may also get to experience that moisture that falls from the sky.

Hunter and I are getting super excited to be co-spectathletes this weekend. We are just hoping the daddy doesn't take as long getting to the finish line as the mommy did 9 years ago. I have always wanted to go back to CDA. It's not a redemption thing actually. I would hope that even given my lack of long training lately that I could have a better marathon if I got out there this weekend. I really just enjoyed the city and the course -- so much so that I spent all that extra time lying on the grass on the side of the road. I probably could've picked a better spot than in the middle of a neighborhood, like by the lake.

Here are a few things I learned that I can pass on to Jeremy:

- when you're that far north, you get to wake to light and finish your 13:50 IM in the light.
- while a bout of hyponatremia may have made you wary of over drinking, you can still get dehydrated when it's a record breaking hot day.
- you meet more people when you walk the marathon, and you can have your picture taken more.
- sometimes a nap and a gallon of Gatorade is all you need to feel refreshed for the final 10 miles.
- when you can't walk anymore, sit. When you can't sit, lie down.
- if your only choice is 100 degree Gatorade and you're thirsty enough, you will drink it.
 - you can ride up a hill passing people with your eyes closed if there's too much sweat in them to see.
- sometimes the water temperature is the last thing you should worry about.
- enjoy the day no matter what!




Go Daddy!

1 comment: